News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wagon hatch lock options.  (Read 2716 times)

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
Wagon hatch lock options.
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »
I am wondering if I can use a different lock for my rear hatch on my 85 wagon? I would like to use a lock that can be left unlocked with the push button and a finger hook. It wold be nice to not to need a key every time I want in the back. Does anybody know of one that will fit? Or does anybody have good pics of there lock cylinder removed? It would help me get an idea of what to look for without removing mine.
Thanks guys!
Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: Wagon hatch lock options.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
I wonder if the hatch lock from an XJ Cherokee could be used? It has a black key surround handle, and the older ones would even work with an AMC key. Would likely require some bodywork to cut the Eagle panel to fit the XJ cylinder cutout and handle. You could cheaply and easily pick up a XJ hatch lock to have a look at making it work.

Cool idea.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline eagle503

• "I'm not a mechanic I'm a parts replacer give me the book I can do it"
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • 85 limited wagon
    • art of loehr
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
I would not mind a little modding of the hatch it has some rust issues and I plan on someday replacing it with one that has defrost and a wiper.
Click for YOUR_TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline keverbeek

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
Howdy
I'm planning on the very same approach about the hatch lock issue as Eagle 503.
I think the new lock you are trying to use is from a VW beetle or bus, right?

Did you achieve your solution?
How did you adapt the internal mechanics to transfer the movement from the push button to a rotating movement?

Greetings from overseas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk