News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 11:05:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cam choice options for Fuel Injection  (Read 4704 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Cam choice options for Fuel Injection
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »
Sometime in the not too distant future Z2 is gonna get a workover in the engine department. The plan is to reuse my current 4.2 lower end, 4.0 head, header, 4.0 injection, AX-15 and NP229. I'm not looking to build a racecar as the goal for this build is top MPG and reliability at all altitudes but I would like some zip.

I've been looking at cams, in particular the 252H and 260H from Comp Cams.

Anybody running those cams? How are they for a DD?
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Cam choice options for Fuel Injection
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:09:03 PM »
I'm doing the Crower Baja beast myself. But I'm building a stroker (if I ever get well enough to work on my vehicles again)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:28:20 AM »
I would really like this information for rebuilding a 4cyl. I often see cute little Comanche pickups in the junkyards once in a while with the perfect drivetrain I could use for a long distance vehicle. It's easy enough to source parts for the six since I'm almost done with my 285 but the four is next to impossible to source parts for it and I have a lot of trouble figuring out why. :-\
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »
The only part I had trouble finding was an EGR valve (still have it brand new on my shelf) The same 4 cyl was used in TJs until '07 so parts aren't that ard to find. Pistons are same as 4.0L (actually slightly higher compression ratio which is why I bought them for my 4.6L stroker build)   All years of MJ with 2.5 are already fuel injected except early '86. They were Renix TBI till '89 when they went MPFI.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »
I used a comp cam # 68-231-4....the cam grind is A6 X4 250h-11. I will let you know how it does. I just started it after install today. I have some other issues to deal with but it like a fuel leak some more wires from the zj the harness came from and I have to get it to a exhaust shop yet.
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:14 PM »
I used a comp cam # 68-231-4....the cam grind is A6 X4 250h-11. I will let you know how it does. I just started it after install today. I have some other issues to deal with but it like a fuel leak some more wires from the zj the harness came from and I have to get it to a exhaust shop yet.

Keep us posted on how it turns out! I love how all of the aftermarket cams say "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION"

Did you fire it up for the first time on a carb or on the MPFI?

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 11:06:59 PM »
the fuel injection...its all installed and I will do all the fine tuning I can tomorrow with all the exhaust leaks.
Joe Washburn
1998 jeep grand

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »
Gotcha.

Two last questions for tonight. Should the cam bearings be swapped and if so how much of a PITA is it?

Also I've been reading thru the cam break-in procedures and it says NOT to pump up the lifters. What exactly are they talking about?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:29:17 PM by Zoro »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:21:40 PM »

Keep us posted on how it turns out! I love how all of the aftermarket cams say "NOT FOR FUEL INJECTION"

Did you fire it up for the first time on a carb or on the MPFI?

They mean it won't pass emissions test or at least they don't guarantee it will.

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
The cam worked good inthe 258 but summit sold me the wrong lifters :censored: so I have tore the whole motor down and now am using a 4.0 for the eagle
Joe Washburn
1998 jeep grand

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk