News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 25, 2024, 12:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full swap help  (Read 13644 times)

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Full swap help
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:38:19 AM »
Ok, i'm done messing with the original inline six and various suspension, steering, electrical, transmission, and drive line problems in my 83 wagon. :banghead: I'm looking to swap it all out and change it out to a 4.0ho from a newer jeep. What I would like to know is, If anyone has some experience in doing this?, What models will be the best and what years to look for.
Thanks for any information.  
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:50:11 AM by Rucuss »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Full swap help
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
Wish I had time to help. I'm sorting stuff out on mine as well and I'm not quite physically able to do what I want to mine either.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:16 PM »
I have done this swap in a gremlin. 93 and up jeep with obd1 is the easiest later models with obd2 are a little harder.
The early jeeps with the renix on pre 93 you want to avoid. Get the donor engine and wire harness with the computer and transmission modular if an auto.  Only takes 5 wires to connect. Install an electric fan and run the fuel lines to the tank with an electric pump and a return line.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »
You may have to alter the mortor mounts and the tranny mount as well.  IIRC the tranny crossmember is forward of where the new tranny needs it ot be.  Also, there will be some mods required to the front axle bracket to allow the 4.0 exhaust to clear it.  Check the drive shaft lengths as well.
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:04 AM »
Install the motor (use the Eagle motor mounts and brackets) I'd use '91 to '95 wiring (OBDI HO and easiest) After the motor and trans are installed, make a trans crossbar (that's what we did with SOTE) and then make the driveshafts to fit. Exhaust pretty much last so you can see how everything clears.
   Which external accessories will you use? York AC compressor won't work without cu$tom pulley$. If it's an XJ motor, you need a ZJ or Wrangler waterpump and fan/clutch or swap all the SX4 pulleys, etc to the 4.0L Just the PS bracket to the intake needs modding to work. I prefer serpentine to Vee belts nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:50:06 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:20 AM »
I have done this swap in a gremlin. 93 and up jeep with obd1 is the easiest later models with obd2 are a little harder.
The early jeeps with the renix on pre 93 you want to avoid. Get the donor engine and wire harness with the computer and transmission modular if an auto.  Only takes 5 wires to connect. Install an electric fan and run the fuel lines to the tank with an electric pump and a return line.

Jeep/Chrysler OBDI HO system is 09/'90 to 08/'95. Renix system is fine, but it's as tough to put in as OBDII and 1/2 of it and the wiring is under the dash.

Offline Rucuss

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:04:42 AM »
My wagon is a 5 speed and I don't mind swapping to an auto. Also I am aware that in some cases some mods are going to be needed. Just looking for what is going to be the closest/easiest to work with. I've been looking at mostly 92 and up Cherokees? Basically I want to keep the Eagle body and change everything else.   Also is there going to be much different if a two door is used as a doner vs a 4door?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:25:40 AM by Rucuss »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Nope. Very little drivetrain differences except the length of the rear driveshaft. '91 to '95 is easiest. Renix has EGR like the Eagle with an air tube between exhaust and intake. HO has no pipe or EGR. Throttlebody and intake are different too. AX-15 isn't hard to put in since you had std already. If you want to measure the ax15/NV231 trans/tcase for size, I have a pair on my for sale stuff. (external slave)

Offline anrkii

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »
another thing to consider is that in no way will the front accessories from an XJ cherokee fit, the fan and alternator placement are all wrong.
grand cherokee or wrangler is where you want to get your engine.
mine was from a 98 grand cherokee

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
I've got a couple engines here that are on the local list 1 runs and 1 needs rings. the 1 that needs rings has an extra head with it. 1 is a 96 and 1 is a 97.. What is opinion for what to get if I can get 1. Is the extra head worth getting to build a Stroker and 1 a 4.0 head swap? The 97 has the bad rings and the extra head.

The 96 seems complete but from an automatic $175
and the 97 with 2 heads is $250
Both are Grand Cherokee motors.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:33:18 PM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »
You can swap the waterpump from an XJ for a ZJ one and it's pulley and fan. That's what I did when I put a 4.0L in my '84 J10. The XJ fan turns the right way at least. Some ZJ pumps had metric bolts and some had standard. The "HELP!" rack has both styles of studs.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »
Ressurecting from the dead, but I have to ask which engine is the preferred engine to swap?

I see the XJ's are good since they are simple and preferred because of no security system, but the fan is a bugger since it's offset.

Is Renix, OBD1 or OBD2 preferred for the swap if I keep the fuel injection?

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
The obi 1 is the easiest. Find one from a high output donor.  The fan is no big deal use electric fans for the radiator. I have done this swap on my 72 Gremlin. Went from a 232 one barrel to multipart fuel injection with overdrive.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 11:04:39 AM »
Got a random Facebook message. Someone has a 94 Cherokee with 114000 km on it that they want $500 for. Bet I can beat them down to $350, load it up and drive away.

Has all the parts I need (engine, computer, hopefully the rear axle is the right one that is 3.55, rear speaker bar, maybe the seats) and I can sell parts off to get my money back :D

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
I compiled a bunch of 4.0 swap information into one thread awhile ago. Even contains links to other good swap threads.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43087.msg334827#msg334827
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk