News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:49:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Battery  (Read 13877 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: Eagle Battery
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
Thing to watch out for if you go to Wally World is the amount of time they sit on that rack.. I know a lot of batteries that go dead prematurely from there.. Watch that manufacture date..
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 02:56:13 PM »
This website http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html shows just about every 6- and 12-volt automotive battery size ever used in North America. Then you can go to your favorite friendly local purveyor of parts and get a battery by it's group number instead of by the store's computer. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
This website http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html shows just about every 6- and 12-volt automotive battery size ever used in North America. Then you can go to your favorite friendly local purveyor of parts and get a battery by it's group number instead of by the store's computer. :eagle:

I found that site too. I copied it all to a spreadsheet and filtered it. The width is the issue, 6 1/16 inch. Only three batteries fit that, Group 54, 55 and our 56. Slightly smaller (5 13/16") is a Group 52 and slightly bigger (6 5/16") is a group 60.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
34/78ext is going to be the battery to use. Top post and common. Going to a yard and finding a pan  from a Cherokee.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
double post sorry.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:31:26 AM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
Sears came through with my warranty replacement so I ended up with another plus start (its either a 55 or 56). Will install this evening. I contacted the local firestone and they couldnt promise they'd be able to get a interstate for me. The Sears under warranty replacement was $12.00 so Im not going to complain yet... I'd love to see pics should you get a cherokee tray in the eagle to fit a larger battery.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »
Cherokee pan won't work. My battery is good so I don't have to do the mod. for the 34/78 to fit I think I'll have to modify the radiator area a bit those batteries are big add if I measured right you only have like a 7"x11" area to use without modifying.. Grind the lip that is on the radiator/shroud. Use some rubber and pad the edge or weld it into a box. If someone has time to take a look when it's light would like to know if that part can even be ground I'm limited on my daylight hours.. Usually at work.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
I have the battery for my MJ (Comanche) in mine. Group 58. Switching it to Group 24 (have a brand new one)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:41:08 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

AMC lifer

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
On my dearly departed Eagle, I took the battery tray, make cuts in the corners & flattened out one of the long sides of the tray. It was able to hold a bigger battery (800 - 1000 CCA) It did fit between the fender & the AC line. You could probably rig up a strap to hold it against the fender & away from the AC line. I ran it for several years like that with no problems. I have used several brands of batteries over the years, Delco, Interstate, & AmeriStart. the latter is less expensive than Interstate & has more oomph.  It also lasts 6 years.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 01:47:56 AM »
I know this is "holy batman" old.  But this is good information!  Thanks to everyone contributing to this post.
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
When I was at the salvage yard getting my 4.0, I looked up a table of battery sizes on my phone, found a few group numbers that had the same depth and width, and asked for any one of those. Dont remember what group size they gave me, but its worked perfect ever since.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk