News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 03:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gauge Console Voltage Meter Replacement  (Read 4403 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Gauge Console Voltage Meter Replacement
« on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »
My car has the center gauge console around the shifter. Ever since I've had my car, my voltage meter has not been reading correctly; So I took it out to see if there was something that maybe could be adjusted. While me and my Dad were looking at it, the needle being made of the fragile plastic it is broke, sealing the fate of this gauge.

So I need to replace this gauge. Does someone here have a working one that I could buy? My dad after a bit of research said that Jeep gauges look essentially the same but didn't know if they would work with an Eagle. Are there any alternative gauges that I could use, ideally using the original gauge's faceplate it the other one didn't match.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: Gauge Console Voltage Meter Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:13:38 PM »
Does anyone have any advice?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:25:17 PM »
Hi joe,

I was looking at mine today and did some measuring, I think some of the aftermarket ones would fit in there without too much modification.

Seems like someone on here once upon a time did that, may have been on the old nest and got lost cause I can't find it now
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:01 PM »
The original gauges weren't really individual gauges, they were "plate" gauges that filled the space behind the front circular holes.  If you want to replace one with an aftermarket gauge, you probably have to replace them all.  I don't know if the jeep gauges would fit or not.

I believe Eaglefreek is one of the members who replace the original gauges with a series of after market gauges.  It does require some slight modification to the center gauge console.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »
They were on a plate together, but you can remove them individually. I really don't want to replace all of them or have something that doesn't look original. Preferably I would want a replacement gauge that will fit but has a removable face so I can use my original faceplate. Its a bummer this happened.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
One of my needles broke, too.  I very carefully glued it and used a paint pen to paint the needles white again.  No problems in three years.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »
What kind of glue did you use? We tried gluing it back together and the needle broke a second time trying to do that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:28:04 PM by EagleJoe93 »

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
I used a two part plastic epoxy. The stuff smells terrible. If I had a good gauge to extract the needle from I could probably cast a new one.  I'm not touching mine  ;D
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 04:38:55 PM »
I'll have to try that if I can't come up with a replacement part.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »
I wonder if the needle out of something else would work
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 08:57:04 PM »
I wonder if the needle out of something else would work

I don't know, maybe? The very bottom of the needle is still attached to the gauge, so I would need to figure out if I can remove that and put something else in that would work.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »
The needle is molded with the magnetic assembly pretty intimately. I don't think you'd find another that'd swap in easily.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk