News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Will this valve cover fit?  (Read 6602 times)

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Will this valve cover fit?
« on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
I'm looking to replace the factory plastic valve cover on my 258 with the one in the link below.  The ad says it fits 1981-87 jeeps but I suspect it will also fit Eagles as well.  I read somewhere that there are a couple of holes that need to be tapped as well?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/omx-1740108/overview/make/jeep
1983 Eagle Wagon 6 cylinder/Automatic 4x4

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: Will this valve cover fit?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
I'm needing the same thing and somewhere I read that https://www.yourcovers.com/valve_covers_8656.php this place made the best ones. I have one in my cart and haven't been able to make myself check out yet because they are pretty pricey.. there is something in the reviews of the summit racing one about rocker arm bridges that is mentioned on pml's site. I don't know exactly what they're talking about but you might. Good luck!
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:12:51 PM »
hi, yes, that valve cover will fit, but be aware there is some drilling/tapping involved. Also, you will have to source the gasket for it, and the two top grommets., and the oil fill cap. best to get the whole kit from 4wdr hardware. OR, get the PML, it really is the best one out there, and has a billet aluminum O-RING! style screw in oil fill cap.
Either way, good luck, gz

ps, the stock plastic valve cover was/is held on by two nuts through the top. these attach to studs on two rocker arm bridges. For Either of these, those studs have be removed, though PML offers you an option to keep them, read their description. This is no big deal, either you buy two NON studded rocker bridges for a couple of $$, or, just take the old ones and hacksaw the stud off.

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:33:54 PM »
hi, yes, that valve cover will fit, but be aware there is some drilling/tapping involved.
Am I assuming correctly that the pml valve cover requires drilling and tapping also??
Laura (Shorty)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
Careful when drilling to not drill into the water jacket.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »
hi, the PML cover does NOT require drilling/tapping on the DRIVERS side, which is the "problem" side,where if you drill  too deep you may hit water. It MAY require tapping two/three holes on passenger side, which are much easier, and MAY already be tapped depending on the year of your Eagle. This can be done with the head on the car. On the drivers side the cover is held down by large black "washers" and nuts on the studded headbolts. Just like stock. Post a pic or two of your current cover, and lets have a look at it. good luck, gz

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 04:42:15 PM »
The PML cover would be a direct fit for my engine but I just don't care for the "tribal tattoo" art design on the top of it.

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
I'll not be showing mine so the design doesn't mean much. What did you read that tells you it's a direct fit? Mine is the same year
Laura (Shorty)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 07:45:08 PM »
hi if you read PMls description thoroughly, including the installation instructions, it should explain all. Even gives you the Napa #gasket to use. I put one in on a friends 84 Eagle last year, it looks and fits great. As for the design, well that is a personal taste issue, but on his, he got the black one, it looks awesome. good luck, gz  ps, you can always call 'em up and talk to 'em, and ask any questions you have.

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
I'll not be showing mine so the design doesn't mean much. What did you read that tells you it's a direct fit? Mine is the same year
The PML cover is designed to replace the plastic valve cover.  It bolts directly in place and doesn't require drilling and tapping like the covers from Summit, etc. 

hi if you read PMls description thoroughly, including the installation instructions, it should explain all. Even gives you the Napa #gasket to use. I put one in on a friends 84 Eagle last year, it looks and fits great. As for the design, well that is a personal taste issue, but on his, he got the black one, it looks awesome. good luck, gz  ps, you can always call 'em up and talk to 'em, and ask any questions you have.
Thanks for your input.  Even though it's not my favorite by its looks... I ordered the PML valve cover and should receive it by next week.  I'll post up some pics of the install and results once I get it done.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:02:48 AM by JONAS78028 »

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 12:28:46 PM »
Great information! amcfool1, I went back to the site and found the directions :-[ Thanks! Now all I have to do is get the wallet pried open and order....
Laura (Shorty)

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
The PML cover was not a matter of simply bolting it on like I had hoped.  I ended up tapping the 3 passenger side holes and sourcing a couple of flange nuts at the last minute on a Saturday morning.
 I have included some pictures of my work...

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 04:27:48 PM »
A few more pics...

Offline JONAS78028

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »
and a few more...

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »
Thanks for all the work you put into the pictures! Still haven't ordered mine. The man that's helping with with my latest acquisition bought one of the $100 ones like are on ebay. Don't know yet how the install has gone.
That is a very sharp looking car!
Laura (Shorty)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk