The Shop > Electrical

headlight problems

(1/5) > >>

jim:
On the 83 with the new motor -
One evening the headlights went off and came back on.  The next morning they wouldn't turn on at all.
I'm about to look through the TSM, but if anyone has suggestions where to start I'll appreciate it.
Did we ever decide where the headlight relay is hiding?

As I was writing this I had a thought -
I went out and checked - I have high beams but no low beams.
I do have parking lights.
What does this tell us?

jim:
Correction - I have low beams and no high beams.   
I never drive with high beams; I don't know why they would have been on;
at any rate when they went out I didn't have any lights.  If the highs had been on and quit
the lows should have been still on.
At least I can drive it.  I now have heat and lights on both the 83 and the 88.
I hope the lights on the 83 don't go out when I'm driving it but the only way to know is to try.

thereverendbill:
on my 83 when the highbeams come on the low beams go out, but that does nothing for why you have no high beams.  What i would look at is the connector that puts power to the lights (on the headlight) and look for corrosion there, if that looks good I'd check the ground and trace the wires as far as you can and look for any breaks in the wire   

IowaEagle:
When High Beams are on all lamps should be lit.  The circuit breaker is built into the switch.  You need to replace the switch IF the breaker is bad.

jim:
I have a spare switch, and I think I know where it is.  It's only 130 miles from here.  Looks like that can wait a while.
I'll check the original switch for corrosion and ground, but I'll wait until I have the replacement on hand.
I don't know when that will be.
I am concerned that the low beams went out and are now back on.  They may go out again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version