News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 10, 2024, 11:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/8" axle end play after replacing bearings???  (Read 2089 times)

Offline 88-AMC-Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
1/8" axle end play after replacing bearings???
« on: June 28, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
Rear axle in my 87 Eagle was making noise so I removed both axle shafts, installed new bearings, bearing cups, inner & outer seals. Turns out one of the old bearing cups had a defect and was causing the noise.

I didn't check the rear axle end play before I took everything apart. I'm not sure what the end play is now but it feels tike an 1/8 inch. Not knowing much about axles I put the tires on a took it for a test drive. Sometimes when I brake, especially at higher speed the rear end will vibrate.

Now what I don't understand is how did the axle end play change? I didn't have this vibrating problem before. What did I do wrong? What I do know is this is a model 15 rear axle and the end play should be .006 inch.

Also I should mention there is and was a clunk sometimes when I stop at low speeds and a clunk when I accelerate from a stop. I was thinking this is most likely the rear axle. Somehow it doesn't feel like the transmission.                 

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: 1/8" axle end play after replacing bearings???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:57:05 AM »
pinion bearing?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk