News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost drive line/transmisson  (Read 4772 times)

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
Lost drive line/transmisson
« on: April 03, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »
What is your thoughts.

My beloved 82 Eagle will not go froward or backward.  Turned a corner at very slow speed and all of a sudden lots of mechanical noise from under the Eagle.

Engine running good and fluid in the transmission.  260,000 km on the car, transmission serviced 10,000 km ago.

Having it towed,

Praying it is not a large bill.

thanks

dkoug

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Lost drive line/transmisson
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
Transfer case false neutral. search it. you will find things

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:03:45 AM »
Could be viscous coupler in the tcase, rear end lost the spider gears or a lost driveshaft/ujoint.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline dkoug

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • 85 Eagle Basic
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »
Need suggestions.

Third driver's side half axle in last year, this one lasted less than 1000 klicks.  Driven very softly by this old :censored: guy.

What would the cause of the front half axle failing so often???????

4 x 4 locked in manually.

Car is a/was a lovely daily driver.

thanks

dkoug

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »
Is it lifted?  More than about 2 inches will put it at too much of an angle.
I was having problems with reman half shafts.  Spending the little extra for new ended my problems.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
Has anyone done anything to the front diff? Swapped motor from another year? Lifted?

The passenger's side axle hanger bracket is a different length on early axles to late axles. If you put an early axle (non-vac) in place of a vacuum or later non-vacuum diff, it will change the diff angle from flat and wreak havoc on axleshafts. I'm swapping an early non-vacuum axle into mine and had to find that bracket before I could do it.

I was talking to a guy that does high angle CV axles for racing and it would cost $800 a pair for brand new (minimum 10 sets ordered) He also suggested that you could use the inboard end from a Vortec S10 axle (which is slightly longer) on your Eagle axle (if that's where it's coming apart)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk