News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 11:20:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gorilla Tape saves the day!!!  (Read 3901 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Gorilla Tape saves the day!!!
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »
Last year, some a-hole stole my matched set of 5 wheels and tires and left my whip sitting on the hubs behind my shop.  Having no sense of urgency, it was left sitting there for many months (until today)  We received notice that the parking lots were getting redone and all vehicles/equipment needed to move.  No problem, i had an old set of wheels/tires and a handfull of extra lugs so I went out w/ a floor jack and some cinderblocks and got some rubber on the beast.  It was dark so I threw a charger on it and called it a noght.  Went out on my lunch break to move the beast and it fired right up, ran for 90 seconds and died flat.  I checked and realized carb was not getting fuel, went back to the tank and noticed there was a hole popped in the botton of the tank and someone completely cut the filler hose.  So not only did they get my wheels, but my fuel too!  Not sure which is worth more at this point.  I had to move the beast today and it was in an awkward place to chain and tow so I did some digging around and found some denatured alcolol, a scouring sponge and a roll of gorilla tape.  Cleaned up around the puncture and split hose and taped everything up w/ gorilla tape. Added 4gal if fuel and crossed my fingers.  ZERO leakage and drove the beast all the way to the house.   That's not the 1st time Gorilla Tape has saved my butt.  It's like Duct-Tape on steroids.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: Gorilla Tape saves the day!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Well, now we know it's good.  Another one that's good to have is silicone Fusion Tape by 3M.  It's like rubber/silicone tape - No sticky side.

It bonds with itself.  great for rad hoses.  Just make sure it's clean.  This stuff is made for heat applications, so as the stuff heats up, the more it bonds with itself.  I repaired a rad hose with it, and it's still holding.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:16:24 PM by Whuntmore »

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:34:16 PM »
lol, good fix, we need pics of that one for the redneck repair thread,  :occasion14:.
On another note, about 4 years or so ago, we put down a temporary floor in the garage, it's old banner material (not quite tarp, lol). Anyway, we had two big pieces, and needed them to stay together in the center. We used gorilla tape to do the job, figured eh, maybe it will last a little while at least, lol, 4 years later it's not peeling  :rotfl: , Stands up to pretty much anything, better than the banner material anyway, haha.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:36:46 AM »
"Gorilla Tape" eh ? Uhmmm... sounds good. Must get hold of some. Absolutely.
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk