News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 11:56:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings from the Great Lakes State  (Read 4199 times)

Offline hook2land1

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Greetings from the Great Lakes State
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:41:59 PM »
     I've been lurking about this forum for about a week, in anticipation of buying a 1983 Spirit SX4 that I saw for sale.  You folks have put together an invaluable collection of knowledge, experience, and fellowship. Thank you for that.

The FX4 had only one previous owner and yes, she was a little old lady. I bought the car from her elderly son. Apparently, his mother passed away about 11 years ago and he'd kept the car in her garage since her passing. He provided a log book that he'd kept since 2003 that chronicled his assessment of the car every June.  He spent winters in Florida and would return to Michigan in the summers. The entries are all similar "1 flat tire - dead battery - runs for :censored:" followed by "got her started - drove 50 miles - 26mpg"

I was surprised at how clean the car was when I arrived. No real rust to speak of (unheard of in northern Michigan). There is evidence of a low speed accident at the passenger front corner. The plastic end cap of the bumper is damaged and the door gap, while still functioning, is narrower than factory.  The exhaust had holes in it but everything else looked good under the car. I popped the hood and couldn't believe how many vacuum hoses  I saw!! It looked like an octopus orgy. I told the guy "if you can get her to run,  I'll give you $700.  We jumped the battery, played with his Jerry rigged choke a bit and it stumbled to life.  It would not idle but it was running. I shelled out the $700 and he says ... " I don't know. She's runnin' pretty  good. Should be worth $750." I didn't argue.

I've been REALLY frustrated since I got her home. We've had a cold snap that keeps me from spending too much time with the car. It's in the single digits F with the wind chill. So far, I've ordered GRONK's "new motorcraft 2150 kit" from ebay . I'm thinking different ignition (D.U.I.) or equivalent, new exhaust to include a header and muffler ( already had problems with the CAT), and rebuilt or replaced trans as this one lacks reverse. Lots of other problems exist. Some are small and some aren't. I'll try to stay focused and, with your help, get this thing on the road before my daughter's 16th B-day. That gives me about 16 months .

Thanks for the wealth of info that I see here. I've already benefited from the posts that I've read and I've only just begun.

I'll now attempt to post a few photos of the car as she looked on the trailer. If silos start to open in the desert and air raid alarms begin to sound, breathe
easy and understand that it's me trying to post photo links.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 01:15:01 PM by hook2land1 »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Greetings from the Great Lakes State
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »
many suspect its the carburetor when instead its a vacuum issue.  Welcome to the Den
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »
I do hope you know it's an AMC Eagle SX/4 and not a Spirit!

Looks to be in great shape! Good luck with your project!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:58:19 PM by Prafeston »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:44:16 PM »
Wow!  Great find.  Good luck with it and have fun.  Welcome to the Den!

Where are you in Northern Michigan?  I grew up there but that was back when they were still making Gremlins!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
Welcome. Even with all the issues you got an awesome deal. It's easily worth double if not triple what you paid.   :eaglebig:
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 09:53:29 PM »
Wow, you got a great deal!

Welcome to the den
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline hook2land1

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »
     I can see imagine that Vacuum could be a problem with these rides. I've owned more than a few cars in my life and I was surprised by the rats nest of tubes under the hood. I'm sure that  Carter Feed Back carb is tunable but I also know that I'm about bone simple, If I can get it. This carb looks like it was worked over with a hammer and is dumping raw fuel into the engine (stuck float bad seat?). So, she's gotta go. I like what I see with GRONK's 2150. Waiting for it to ship. 

vangremlin... I recently purchased a small farm near Manistee. We moved my family "up north" after many years in the Fenton / Grand Blanc area.

Prafeston ....   Thank you for the correction. I was mistakenly under the assumption that all 2 door hatchbacks were "Spirit" models.

Thanks to all of you for making a guy feel welcome.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 03:53:06 AM »
hello, and welcome to AMC Eagles, and our extended family. All you got to do now, is stick with it! Any help you need, someone somewhere will find it, Parts...? someone, somewhere, will have what you need. You have just joined the (possibly) most exclusive car club of all time, outside of billionaires row of course. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy our fellowship, and your car. gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk