News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)  (Read 33852 times)

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: 84 sedan project (beginners luck)
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 11:52:25 PM »
hi, tuning an Eagle is more complex than most. I REALLY suggest you get a TSM. OK, three screws in the picture. The one closest to the carb is the FAST idle screw. the one next to it is the CURB idle screw. Idle is actually adjusted using the  TOP screw, that hits the SolVac. make sure this is working. Check out,  home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm  . good luck, gz   don't cut any springs!

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 12:06:38 AM »
I'll wait until I get some kind of gasket on the air cleaner assembly before I start tweaking screws for sure. I don't think it needs a tune fully, just a bump in low idle.
https://youtu.be/9v4o_KzsGDk

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »
I feel like this is supposed to be plugged into something.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2018, 12:20:00 AM »
hi, don't worry about that plug, it WAS plugged into a part called the PCV Valve Solenoid, which was recalled by AMC back in the day , Again, check out the sprynet thing, all the info you need on amc/jeep 80s carb/emission controls. good luck, gz

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »
Oh, sorry somehow I completely missed that link earlier. A lot of really great info! And in picture format, now if only someone would create a pop up version.. :P I'll go about checking all that stuff off.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
hi, glad you found it! good stuff if you plan to keep your Eagle. Remember, all of this is moot if your computer is no longer working, though I see no reason why it shouldn't be. If your Eagle is running, chances are that its good. BTW, its behind the passenger side kick panel. If for some reason its not working, believe it or not, the computer is still available at any parts store, though only the California version, no big difference, for about $190. +core. Part # OEM 79-1733.. good luck, gz
Remember, Rule #1 with AMCs, don't throw ANYTHING away, especially if you don't know what it is! :)

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2018, 07:00:28 PM »
Ok, sooo. According to the metering pin the engine is running lean, when I high throttle it and then release the pin will slightly wiggle back and forth, when I close off the choke for as long as I can before the engine dies it doesn't move at all. So more than likely a bad o2 sensor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:02:24 PM by Murdoc1905 »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »
You could, but you shouldn't have too. Somthing is making her slow at idle. I am grasping here, but how is the timing?

Manitowoc WI

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2018, 08:10:21 PM »
I'll have to see if I can borrow a timing light to see what it's at, I would have never thought it would cause that kind of an issue. I think I found a loose vacuum hose right next to the carb and zip tied it tight, but I swear it runs worse now. I also found out I ran it without the throttle spring. I got really lucky it didn't stick open or anything like that.

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
ok, so I hooked up my multi-meter to the O2 sensor and heres what I got https://youtu.be/Dp0LuIdtFFU.  I am not sure how to take it. it does move, and seem to track O2 readings as I rev the engine, but according to the manual, shouldn't it be reading .1 to .9? not .04? maybe I'm multi-metering incorrectly thou.

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 02:12:15 PM »
So the heater control valve is leaking from the valve itself, that's gonna be fun. There is a leak in the valve cover that is slowly letting oil burn up on the exhaust manifold. That will be even more fun to remove. And the drivers seat outside edge feels like it's collapsed. Does anyone know if it's possible to direct swap the passenger and driver seats?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2018, 11:33:55 PM »
Cannot swap different contours ring a bell at 96% memory. So i say no to seats.

Valve cover gasket is easy, if your plastic cover is not warped. It most likely is and needs a aftermarket chromedome.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2018, 01:01:24 AM »
Agree about the seats, since the recline handles would be on the wrong side.  Flip it over and make sure the springs are not snapped, may be something like that.

A 1998 (ish) Jeep Cherokee heater valve will work, it's under $20 and you can actually find them.  They are plastic so it will look different but works the same.  I've posted about that a couple times, mine is holding up fine.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Murdoc1905

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2018, 07:56:15 AM »
Yeah I saw your post and I'll probably go with one of those, kinda figured the seat swap wouldn't work, I will check on the spring condition when I figure out how to remove the seat lol.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2018, 09:12:14 AM »
I just had to repair a drivers seat the outer frame is just sheet metal channel and once it cracks it just keeps going I was able to use 3/4" angle iron and sandwiched the existing sheet metal made a world of difference from feeling like you were driving from the back seat to sitting upright also the seat breaking is a common occurence

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk