News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 06:32:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stroked 258  (Read 3422 times)

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
Stroked 258
« on: July 24, 2016, 05:01:10 AM »
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone had dropped a 258 stroker motor into an eagle before? The website says from 1987-90 jeep. Is there any foreseeable issues with this?

Here's the summit link
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp25?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-atk-high-performance-engines&gclid=Cj0KEQjwztG8BRCJgseTvZLctr8BEiQAA_kBD4tJVRRTdwkq7qSBZrUPJkDLGqes0b0bsjM7bRGDBPMaApj48P8HAQ
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Stroked 258
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 09:50:03 AM »
Unless i missed it. It should fit. I think it is a 258 block and not a 4.0l block. So it loks like you can even have your fuel pump on the cam.

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:19:32 PM »
hi, that is a 4.0 block. yes it will work in an Eagle, and has been done. Check out Gronks' "tootie", elsewhere on this forum. The only real issue is the mount bosses for the front axle, you may have to fabricate a little, but definitely doable. Also, if that is a 4.0 head, you will need a 4.0 exhaust manifold, the "header" style. Your old 258 intake can be made to work on this head with a little tweaking, or you can run a later 4.0 intake with a carb adapter. again, check out "Tootie" good luck, gz

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
hi again, you can see "Tootie" in the "Your Eagles" section here, 2nd post from top. gz

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:56:22 PM »
Didn't the 87–90 Jeeps YJ come with a 258?
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 11:47:15 PM »
yes, they did, but the application for the motor above is Cherokee, Comanche, and Wagoneer, which came with a 4.0. To be sure, i guess a phone call is in order. good luck, gz

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
If you look at the fact that the block has a rib that needs to be ground down for the axle bracket to fit kind of tells me 4.0l block.

Manitowoc WI

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
    • old betsy
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 10:41:19 AM »
Darn I'm sorry guys, I should have read further into it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk