News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:40:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NP129 needle bearing locations  (Read 3206 times)

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
NP129 needle bearing locations
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:43:01 PM »
Started to tear into the transfer case. Of course all the needle bearings dropped. The problem I'm having is finding out where they go. Ive checked out the exploded view. I know where they go but there are 3 different sizes I think. The fatter ones go on the "main shaft" ("main shaft pilot bearings") then there are a set of 85 bearings that are the "Mainshaft needle bearings" and another set of 120 that are called the "Sprocket carrier needle bearings".

Anyone have any leads on the specified lengths for those bearings and the location????

The set of 85 and the set of 120 are all the same diameter I believe. but there are at least two different lengths.  Short and long.

link to the exploded view.
http://wiki.amcevolution.com/images/6/65/Np129exlopdeddiagram.jpg

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: NP129 needle bearing locations
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 08:35:33 PM »
Should also add I found a online magazine that has most of the NP T-cases. Exploded view and parts and list the two sets of needle bearings. 

NP129 is on page 6 within the magazine not the PDF file.   Its a good alternative Exploded view to the common one floating around.

http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/47321199/transfer-case-parts-a-amp-reds/10

looks like the shorter needle bearings length is .120OD x .740 length. The longer is .125OD x .935 length.

If your looking at page 6 and the exploded view they are parts 99&101  (short) and 107&110 (longer).

There is also part "113", another set (15) of needle bearings. Those I'm sure are the obvious larger ones.

Think I might have answered my own question.  BUT....  the AMC eagle bible says 85 needle bearings but the order catalog says you need 82. Ill have to count the old ones.  Guessing if I put in 82 and there is still room Ill add more. What I dont get is that 85 is the addition of two sets close to each other with the same size.  41 and 41 makes sense 42.5 and 42.5 does not. no half bearings.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:49:52 PM by TEagle85 »

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:01:25 PM »
Sorry cann't help much, but my factory manual says 82 bearings   :)

Offline ChickenFarmer3

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fly like an Eagle!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:39:44 AM »
This shows where they go.  I had the best luck using heavy grease to get them to stay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk