News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 08:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modifying AC to work with a 4.0 swap/wiring  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Modifying AC to work with a 4.0 swap/wiring
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
I'm debating on installing A/C into my Eagle. It originally had it, prior to the original engine being pulled, then the XJ had it prior to the engine being pulled and installed into my Eagle. I have all the XJ wiring in the Eagle now with some of the old Eagle wiring adapted to the XJ wiring.

Essentially I just want to make re-installing the A/C as dirt simple as possible. My thought is a new A/C condenser for the Eagle, and wire a switch to turn it on or off manually. If I remember correctly, the Eagle has the door that closes over the heater, so it'd be a matter of piping in the A/C, putting in the on/off switch and just remembering to close the heat duct when I want it cold.

I'm new to A/C, have never worked on it past replacing a clutch. I do feel like I'm missing something but I'm not sure what.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Modifying AC to work with a 4.0 swap/wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »
Do you still have the dash controls in your Eagle?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
I kept the original controls, have a 2nd set but a lot of the wiring has been swapped.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Looking into this again. I'm pretty sure that 90% of the XJ wiring is still there, so I'll need to figure out what the XJ had that the Eagle didn't, as well as the condenser and tubing in the engine bay. Anyone with experience able to give me a few pointers?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:03 PM »
Make sure the pressure cutout switch is in that circuit or the BANG! you hear could be the compressor of something else sending out shrapnel.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk