News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 07:35:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trans is bad- advice!?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Re: Trans is bad- advice!?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
The 727 does not have as low of a first gear, so if your Eagle has 2.35 gears or larger tires (or both), you will be rather sluggish off the line.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the strength or durability of a properly built 904/998/999 automatic transmission. First of all, the auto transmissions are stronger than any manual used in Eagles in terms of torque and hp ratings. I agree that the lockup torque converters are known to snap with incorrect fluid use or heavy application, and that they may not have been the greatest from the factory because of this. However, a rebuilt 727 won't necessarily last you any longer or shorter than a rebuilt 998, unless of course you swap in a V8 or stroker with 300+ hp.

The non-lockups were often favored because of poor designs of the early lockup convertors. A properly functioning lockup convertor on the other hand will create less heat and run more efficiently. Walmart now sells Valvoline full synthetic Dexron transmission fluid for ~$18 a gallon which would be highly recommended.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

AB-SX4

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
Yes, both my Eagles have 2.35 axle ratio and I'm running 215/70 R15 tires.

AB-SX4

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
BTW was surprised that Dexron ATF was recommended. As far as I know it should be ATF +3 for the Torqueflites.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »
Not sure about other applications, but the factory service manual (and all other Eagle manuals) recommend the use of Dexron III. Newer Dexron fluids are backwards compatible and have much better lubrication/heat/performance properties than the old fluids. The Eagle uses Dexron ATF in the auto transmission, transfer case, and power steering system, which is quite convenient. If the FSM recommends it, then stick with that fluid.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:09 AM »
BTW was surprised that Dexron ATF was recommended. As far as I know it should be ATF +3 for the Torqueflites.
As far as I know, ATF+3 didn't come out until the 90's.
Here's a quote from Allpar: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html
"Use Dexron III fluid at the least; if you have the money and would like smoother shifting, use Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 (there are numerous “universal” fluids, and one which conforms to Dexron III or ATF+3/+4 should work)."
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

AB-SX4

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
Thanks everyone. Probably going to stick with Dexron III then.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
i am not opposed to rebuilding this thing myself - i am mechanically inclined or i wouldnt own this ridiculous wagon, but i have never cracked open a trans.

If you're interested, I could send you a rebuild dvd for a few bucks.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
Dex II used to be the only fluid aside from Ford for most autotrans until they discovered lockup converters were dying.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk