News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 03:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Water leaks inside?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Water leaks inside?
« on: May 02, 2015, 02:09:35 PM »
So I have the  carpet and everything out and I see water is getting inside the doors and drivers floor board. I used to get what I thought was coolant from the heater core on the passenger side so I replace it. I put the set back in and drove to the car wash.

I see with new weather stripping on the outside water still rolls pass it and into the doors? No gaps, fits tight, but still seeps in. The other BIG leak is from the fresh air intake thing with the push pull knob. Water just pours in with it open or closed. I don't think it used to do this any idea?

Last I have new weather stripping on the doors put it looks like it still leaks. This I was thinking it was the worn out door hinges or something with the striker bolt for the door not holding it close.

Anyone have this problem with the cabin fresh air port? Once the ac is fixed I will probably never use it but I don't recall the water leak before all the recent work I had done.
 :help: 

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Water leaks inside?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
  There should be some weep holes on the bottom of the doors to let out any water that gets past the window seals. Make sure those are not plugged. If the car has been parked under a tree for some time or came from a very dusty area those holes can plug. Same with the fresh air port , if leaves or debris falls in through the cowl at the windshield it can build up a dam by the wiper motor and not allow the water to run out. Also check around the bottom of the windshield for rust holes.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
Once you clean under the cowl, look from under the dash with a light over the outside for rust pinholes. It's a pain to get into to seal so the last one I did I parked in the sun for 2 days to bake it dry after using a wire brush through the wiper motor opening to scrub it out the best I could and using air to blast anything loose away. Then I sprayed rust converter everywhere I could. Let that dry and followed up with 2 cans of spray leak stop. I drove it 2 years after that with no more leaks from the same place. (Roof rack leaks caused the ceiling to fall down shortly before I found frame rot in the spring hangers and frame.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 01:20:35 AM »
Cowl was clean but once I took the metal trim off the bottom of the window the channel was full of dirt and the window had no seal half way across. I took the dash out and used black silicon for now. The window is cracked anyhow so it needs to be replaced. I did end up breaking some of the plastic clips that hold the metal trim on. Anyone know a source to by new clips?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:24:03 AM by madmax4x4 »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
Did you check with tenesseefarmer for your clips
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38581.0

Manitowoc WI

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »
MadMax4x4,

I got mine off of Amazon.  They're currently on sale for $8.09 + $6.49 shipping:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQ5V9C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1,  about 50 of 'em in the box.

Incidentally, I had the same problem with leaks around the windshield.  For me, the final solution was to re-install the trim, then use Permatex to seal where the metal trim met the glass.  This had the added benefit of eliminating all of the leaves, dirt and other debris that manage to slide down the glass and wedge themselves under the trim. 

I have to park my Sport model under a tree, and I used to joke that it 'grew a beard' every night (from all of the crap that would get stuck under the windshield trim, the wheel flare trim, etc).

I finally spent a day sealing all of the metal-to-metal and metal-to-glass cracks with black permatex, and she's been clean-shaven ever since...

John Bendiksen
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline madmax4x4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 05:40:50 PM »
Did you check with tenesseefarmer for your clips
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38581.0
No but I will. I need the stuff for the flares he has also. Thanks :hello2: