News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 07:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Brake Drums and Replacement Wheels  (Read 5582 times)

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Rear Brake Drums and Replacement Wheels
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:30:18 PM »
Just something to think about when replacing your factory Eagle wheel. Have not seen this mentioned anywhere else on the Nest/Den so wanted to bring it up. The back drums have three screws with heads protruding about 3/16" from the drum that WILL interfere with a non-Eagle wheels ability to sit flat against the drum. Their specific purpose isn't really known (answers of used to keep the drum from falling off during assembly, used to keep drum on the hub should wheel separate from vehicle are just two of them) but they will prevent an aftermarket, or a Jeep Cherokee wheel from sitting flush with the drum. Suggestions have been made from replacing them with countersunk bolts to just removing them or drilling out space on back of wheels to allow wheels to fit have been discussed on the Facebook page. Looking for comments here as to why are they really there, have you replaced your drums with aftermarket one and if so, do they have the holes in them (be specific as to what brand drums or where you got them if possible), and if in the process of maintenance of your Eagle, did you just remove and toss them. 

One observation concerning the bolts. They are not placed symmetrically (120 degrees apart). Two of them are 72 degrees apart and the other is 144 degrees from those.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Rear Brake Drums and Replacement Wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:35 PM »
I've had several vehicles that originally came with those bolts.  I can't say for certain what their purpose was.  Often times they were gone by the time I got the car.  If they were still there when I re-did the brakes, I have left them off and have not encountered any problems.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:17:14 PM »
The reasons are still unknown.  I like to believe they were there to keep the drum from coming off when the wheel was removed.  We all have had wheels stuck to the drum and if the were not there the possibility of the drum coming off during a routine tire change was possible.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »
Odd too that the parts manual doesn't show them.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:17:16 PM »
In the earlier manual you have to go down to the parts listing to see them.  The 84- 88 manual shows them clearly.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:19:35 PM by IowaEagle »
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »
I believe they were there to hold the drum in place during assembly. As the car rolled down the line the axle assemblies would have been shipped in from assembly some where else complete with brakes  and stored near the instalation point on the line. Then installed on the line with the wheels to be installed at a different point in the line. I have other vehicles that use counter sink scews to hold the drum in place. You wouldn't want to have to go chasing after a drum that inadvertently fell off in shipping or instillation. Once the wheel is installed they are not needed.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:43:37 PM by rmick »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »
In the earlier manual you have to go down to the parts listing to see them.  The 84- 88 manual shows them clearly.

Part number 5..shows X3. Thanks IowaEagle.  So that supports the fact they are there for more than just keeping the drums on the hubs during assembly. I still need to either remove them or find a way to install flush head screws in them in order to get the Cherokee wheel flush with the hub.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
I just took them off  when I put jeep wheels on my eagle. On a lot of AMC's I have had thru the years they were missing anyway. Once the lugs are in place I can't see where they would be doing anything to hold the drum in place.

I do however always place the drum on so the holes line up in case it was a balance thing, but maybe that's just being superstitious
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
They are even offset so there is no balance issues
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline profeagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 22
  • This is my new Eagle
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:06:23 PM »
I am thinking the bolts might give an edge if a wheel was to come off, of course you would stop pretty fast and probably skid around, but at least you have brakes. LOL.   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk