News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:10:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine shutting down while driving  (Read 32628 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Engine shutting down while driving
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 06:35:18 PM »
Where are you getting the power from for the HEI? I would suggest running new power and ground wires to the HEI to eliminate that as the cause. Is it possible you may have some crap in the float bowl that is clogging the jets?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
make sure the thrust washer between the dist gear and body didn't disintegrate! Too much upward play lifts the rotator away from the pickup coil and kills the spark.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
HEI has something wrong internally. Eating and ruining the ICM constantly. I've replaced it with the original ignition system and swapped my carb out, running fine now.

Have to send the HEI back which sucks a lot. Can't wait till I change to the new engine.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
I have heard a LOT of bad with HEI's. Even my buddies installed HEI was terrible and he went back to the OEM. Hmmmm. Maybe Eagles aren't meant to have HEI's!?
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline ISOAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »
I had a similar experience as Mudkicker with a fusible link on a Vette I had. It would be running great and then just die. I turned out the fusible link had burned but the insulation was still intact. When it got hot from driving, it would stretch and break contact and cause the engine to die. After cooling, the insulation would shrink allowing the two sides of the wire to make contact again and would run fine....until it warmed up enough to stretch again.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 07:19:50 PM »
Are these the Skip White units or used components, or .....?
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
If you assemble the unit yourself from a junkyard dist and the rest all new parts, keep in mind there is a ground strap for the in cap coils that is 100% needed! Otherwise you get backfires, cut outs and lots of other horrible running problems or not running at all. DON'T use the Motorcraft dist gear on them! The center hole is too large and the gear will wallow around on the dist shaft and self-destruct, often taking the cam shaft with it!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
This is indeed a Skip White HEI distributor.

I might take it apart a bit to see if I can notice anything. It has a lifetime warranty but it's $30 to send it back :/

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 07:10:01 AM »
So it's not the HEI. It's not the old ignition system.

After about 15 minutes of driving it starts to :censored: the bed. Just dies rampantly.

I have replaced the whole :censored: ignition system from the original to HEI to the original I had in my other Eagle. 3 ignition systems and identical issues.

Only thing I can see now is the starter solenoid. Maybe it's heating up and something internally is disconnecting. I know they're simple but I remember a few months ago working on a friends winch that the solenoid went bad in.

Anyone have any other suggestions??

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
Fusible link?

Check for heat in the solenoid and in the wires coming off the solenoid.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
Is there a fusable link in there that could be causing it?

Reason I ask is that the battery goes to the solenoid, which goes directly to the distributor.

Since I've replaced ALL parts of the ignition system 3 times, the only real thing that's left for me to replace is the solenoid. I've even replaced the alternator along with new wiring for that.

The shut down is almost on queue...15 minutes of driving then it starts to turn off repeatedly and randomly. This leads me to believe it's a heat related issue definitely.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
I had that problem when my alt had a shorted diode that caused it to make AC instead of DC voltage.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
How's your fuel system? Is the bypass filter installed with the bypass at the top? Are the vent and return lines clear? Is there a hissing sound when you remove the gas cap?

A clogged vent line can cause problems.

I'm trying to think of things that change from a cold start. Those are the MCU, several temperature electrical switches, and the CTO or Dual CTO switch. After it dies and restarts, do you get another 15 minutes or is it bad from then on out?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
Another possibility, if you are running a manual fuel pump without a filter before it, is crud in the line is jamming the inlet valve open or the tank fuel sock is collapsing and locking the inlet.

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
I swapped the solenoid to the original and the car ran non stop for a half hour which it hasn't done since I put the new one in.

Going to run it like this for a few days before I swap the hei back into it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk