News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:30:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "hands off approach"  (Read 13838 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
"hands off approach"
« on: January 25, 2014, 11:51:38 AM »
Regulars may have noticed that the admins and mods have pretty much used a "hands off approach" since the Den came about.  We want to know you feel about this philosophy?  So far we have not banned or deleted any member, old or new, nor have we had to ask anyone to tone things down.  I had one request at our FB page to remove a member and I shared with the requestor that I wanted to watch that member as I felt it was not necessary to do that.  So far that has worked out just fine.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: "hands off approach"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
I appreciate the mods here, and the fact that everyone seems nice. Maybe it's because we are a small group

I know on some boards it's gets pretty viscous at times, it's amazing what people will say from the "safety" of their keyboards. That's why I closed my FB account.

Here it's more about viscous couplers in our tcases........

I also like how everyone is so willing to help one another when we encounter a problem with our cars and are stumped
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
Of course we are a nice group. We have amc in common.

Manitowoc WI

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »
I am liking it the way it is.  Time will only tell once our population increases but usually we have always been a very friendly and civilized group.

If I had to pick something... One thing that is irking me some here lately (since now there is more of them), is posts being put in the wrong area's... again not a huge deal just throwing it out there (my 0.02¢).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:20:41 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
I'm happy just the way it is. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 11:26:46 PM »
Seems to be a lot less drama here, as far as threads in the wrong location, could some new members not have noticed all of the categories
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:14:30 AM »
could some new members not have noticed all of the categories

quite frankly, that's the only thing about this forum I don't like. Too many dang sections. It could use some consolidation.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »
Thanks all.  I realize we have a lot of sections and some things do end up in places other than they should.  So, what are some recommendations?  What can be consolidated or eliminated?

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »
Just my suggesting, but there are a bunch of section that could really just be 1 thread in another section and then there are some sections that could just have their threads moved to another section and then that section removed. There are 31 Forums with less than 10 Topics inside them. If these forums were consolidated and their threads moved elsewhere it would really clean up the front page. And that's just the ones under 10 Topics. There are plenty more with under 20 topics that could also use some rearranging.

This may take awhile so bare with me. I'm going to go through each Section/Forum and break it down to how I'd do it if I was starting from scratch.

Information & News
Seems to me like Visitors & Guests Could be merged into Member Information with a Stickied thread for pertinent info for Visitors. Also there is a stickied thread in Visitors & Guests that mentions how to post pictures. The is another stickied thread about posting pictures in Members Information. Member Information also mentions a member map in the description, but there is nothing about it inside. This description seems better suited to the AMC SOAR Section. Which is one of the few areas that seems ok that it only has a couple topics in it. More traffic to it will incur having it on the main page. It could probably use something in the description about it being a Member Map.

AMC Eagle Archives
Model years is a good section with threads for what was available each year and a couple other good topics on prototypes and a graph of production numbers for each year. It would be nice if the Model Years were stickied in order though. 80-88. Also there is no need to have "Our 1980-1988 AMC Eagle's" at the beginning of each thread. Just 1980 Models, 1981 Models, etc would look cleaner. Besides cleaning that up I think this AMC Eagle Archive section is a pretty good one. Not sure if it needs to be the first topic after Info & News as I don't think it's as active as some of the other forums.

Eagle's Den Family
I know we love to think of ourselves as the family friendly forum, but this section seems unnecessary to me. I'm not saying get rid of the posts, but just about every forum in this section could be one stickied thread in the Off-Topic forum and then that forum could just be moved down to General. Would probably take some work moving all those threads around and putting them into one single thread. The hardest being the Furkids one as it does have several topics in it.

General
AMC Eagles Den Meets. Probably doesn't need all the "Child Boards" 2010, 2009, and 2008 have no posts in them. I don't think we need a child board for each year. We can just move all those threads into the main forum. Eagle of the Month is good. Eagle Sanctuaries is a little out dated. Doesn't seem to need the Child Boards either. In fact I wonder if it even needs it's own forum anymore at all. As far as I know there are only two Eagle Sanctuaries anymore. Capt. in Penn. and El Matador in Calgary, Canada. Both of their threads could be stickied in this forum or elsewhere (not sure what other forum they might be good in.) If you did keep the Sanctuary forum I'd get rid of the child boards and just have everything on the main forum. Pitstop and the Automotive Lobby are both popular boards and don't need anything. Member Specialties has one topic in it with just 4 posts. And inside this forum are 7 child forums. People with specialties seem like they could either post How-To's or in the Member Products forum. Good Vibrations is a cool forum that praises other members. I think that one helps show how we are kind of a family. Events & Clubs is a good idea, but it could easily fall under the AMC Eagle Den Meets. In fact that section could be renamed Meets, Events & Clubs and then the Events & Clubs threads could be moved there. Do we really need a thread for Cone of Confusion? We all get the what is that car thing. It's fun to post about these stories, but this is another forum that could just be a single stickied thread in like the Pitstop forum.

Eagle Gallery
Way too many forums in here. I'd break this one down to look like this:
     Your Eagle(s)
     Eagle Pictures & Videos (All the other forums could just be a stickied threads in this forum)
     AMC Eagles by State/Province/Country
     Member Art

The Shop
This section is pretty well put together and has quite a few threads in all the forums. I just have a problem with 3 forums. Restoration/Rehabiltation How To's and Tips...it's a good forum, and definitely one we need, but there is a second How-To forum down in Resources. We need to compile them and decide which forum to leave them in. Along the same line there is a Resource forum found in this section. Wouldn't it be better off in the Resource forum? Lastly the Gremlins forum is confusing since the Gremlin is also an AMC car haha. But seriously. If you have a "gremlin" you should know if in what general part of the car you are having the issue and post your question about it in that topic in The Shop.

The Mighty 258
Don't quote me on it, but I think there isn't anything out of place in this Section :)

The next two board I don't think are going to get much action and they take up a lot of room on the front page. I usually don't like Child Boards, but this seems like the best time to use them and we didn't do it. I think we could consolidate the next two Sections into one and then just have Child Boards for each Forum in those two sections. It would effectively free up 14 forums from the main page. So it would look something like this.

Spirit, Concord, & VAM Forums
     1979 - 1983 AMC Spirits and 1978 - 1983 AMC Concords (Inside this forum you would have Child Boards of the current forums in this Section on the main page)
     VAM - Vehiculos Automotores Mexicanos (Inside this forum you would have Child Boards of the current forums in this Section on the main page)

Classifieds
For Sale: AMC Eagles (This section should just be Eagles only)
For Sale: AMC Parts (Should be for parts that fit Eagles or a common upgrade)
Wanted: WTB Ads Eagles/Parts
FS/WTB: Other Member Cars/Parts
Ebay/Craigslist and Other Third Party Links
Member Products & Services
Junkyard Discoveries
Bucket Brigade

I think the Member auctions forum can be removed. Rollguy tried using it twice and from what I can tell it didn't work. If you have something for sale on here you are basically selling to the highest bidder anyway since usually everything is OBO. :)

Resource & Interchange Center
Quite frankly I never really make it this far down! :) But like mentioned earlier the two How-To forums need to be consolidated and put in one spot. Also the resources forum might want to be moved down here. Not really sure how you'd like to do that.

Wow...so I just went through this whole forum. I think i have some good suggestions, but that's all they are. I love the way the forum is now and don't really mind the clutter as I usually just click the Show unread posts since last visit button, but for a new member or someone trying to locate a specific topic it might help to consolidate and reorganize. I hope my thoughts can help you guys if you decide to go this route.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »
Prafeston, thanks for taking the time and effort to go through the forum and coming up with these suggestions.  You're right, there is probably a lot of consolidation and elimination that could go on.  I would have no clue how to do it, however, and what the repercussions are from the rearranging.  For example, if there is a link to a thread in a particular post, and the thread that is linked gets moved to a different area, is the link now broken, or is it smart enough to follow the link to its new location?  Perhaps IowaEagle is savy enough with this software to be able to answer some of these questions. 

Thanks again for your input, thumbs up to you!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
Nice job Rafe! You have more patience than I do lol.
I would like to add a tid bit though onto that...

In Classifieds
For Sale: AMC Eagles (This section should just be Eagles only For Sale by members only. *If you don't own it, then it needs to go into Ebay/Craigslist & other 3rd Party links)
For Sale: AMC Parts (Should be for parts that fit Eagles or a common upgrade again For Sale by members only. *If you don't own it, then it needs to go into Ebay/Cragislist & other 3rd Party links)
Wanted: WTB Ads Eagles/Parts
FS/WTB: Other Member Cars/Parts
Ebay/Craigslist and Other Third Party Links
Member Products & Services
Junkyard Discoveries
Bucket Brigade

I would also like to see a continous compiled list of parts needed for things (i.e. replacing front bearings, rebuilding the rearend, etc.) with parts #'s & possibly who has them in stock (esp. the harder to find items).
And a list of parts that are interchangeable.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:49:52 PM by MudPuppy »
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:05:35 PM »
I see why you want those additions. I have noticed some people posting in the wrong section down in the classifieds.

Well I hope someone in charge can see to it that a few of these things get done. I hope they can be done without causing too much trouble with links and what not. I do know it will take some time reorganizing and moving threads.

And yeah, I'm not gonna lie. That took a bit of time and a lot of patience to compile! :)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Thanks for your hard work and keen eye Rafe.  Gives a starting point.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Brentmo

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 02:42:00 AM »
I chalked the low number of threads on some of the boards up to the young age of the forum, but I agree with Rafe that the forum could use some consolidating.  Is it a major issue? No.  Would it keep me away? No way!  Just waiting till my Eagle's back together so I can start my own "Eagle in action" and "show and meet" threads... and post lots more photos.   Thanks again for a great forum! 
Take my advice, I'm not using it...

08 JK Unlimited - daily driver
98 K1500 HT383 stroker - pulling, camping, road trips
83 SX4 Sport - resto project underway

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
Regulars may have noticed that the admins and mods have pretty much used a "hands off approach" since the Den came about.  We want to know you feel about this philosophy?  So far we have not banned or deleted any member, old or new, nor have we had to ask anyone to tone things down.  I had one request at our FB page to remove a member and I shared with the requestor that I wanted to watch that member as I felt it was not necessary to do that.  So far that has worked out just fine.

Was it me? ;)

I like the way it is. I let people I know from the old board we are here. I still hear from some that they are still trying to log into the old one. Perhaps another email to last known emails for those who aren't here now? I'm feeling like crud right now or I'd lend a hand. Just got my thyroid meds again from Canada and it will take about a week before I feel more like my old self again. I actually went for a walk today with the dog (several hours before the upset stomach and coughing fit which weren't related)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk