News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hot steering column cause?  (Read 4692 times)

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Hot steering column cause?
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »
The car is an '84 Eagle sw, L6, auto, which we've had for about 6 years.
After sitting on the driveway for most of the summer, the last two times I drove it (50 miles, RT) on the freeway at 70+mph, I noticed an unusual heat coming from under the dashboard.  I found that the steering column is getting very warm... even the ignition key is hot. 
I opened the hood and it seemed hot, but not intense.  The temp gauge is working and shows normal.
Any ideas on what it could be that's causing this?

Thanks,
Kevin

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Hot steering column cause?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
I sure am no expert on this but you have a potentially dangerous situation. The last thing you need is a fire under that dashboard @ 70 mph. I would get on my back with a trouble light & start the engine from cold & check that under dash area until I found that heat source. You could have some type of wiring short which could lead to a serious fire.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:40:56 PM »
Sounds like the ground from the body to the motor is missing and it's feeding back through the steering
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline flamingchariots

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:19:10 PM »
Sounds like the ground from the body to the motor is missing and it's feeding back through the steering.

Whereabouts do I look for this ground?  Is there an exploded diagram someplace?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
The body ground is located on the firewall (in engine compartment) about where the driver sits.  This is a weak point in  the electrical system and should be beefed up with a heavier wire.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
I added a new wire from the battery negative to the body to cure that in my Eagle.

Corrosion at the plug for the ignition switch can cause this as well.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
I hope mine comes with a heated steering wheel.   :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk