News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 03:59:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission cooler lines  (Read 4640 times)

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Transmission cooler lines
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
I need to replace the lines. Seems the lines fused to the nuts on both sets I had so when I removed them I just twisted the lines until they snapped.

I've read that some people replace part of the lines with rubber hose, I was wondering if it's okay to use appropriate rubber hoses at both ends of the lines?

I'd prefer to route the lines differently as well, going along the frame rail, and since I know I will be replacing both the radiator and transmission within a year avoiding the hard fittings would sure make life easier.
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Transmission cooler lines
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
Mine we doing about the same. They haven't broken yet.
Advance Auto carries pre made lines for trans and brakes. My plan was to remove the lines take the over to the store and pick the right ones that way. They have been very helpful with everything else at my local store.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule, totaled 3/26/24 rear ended REAL HARD. concussion and whiplash. not fun
1999 Ford E250 conversion/work van 238,000 see if it will make 300,000
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin, the long haul trucker

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
I ran rubber lines rated for transmission fluid on mine. I installed barbed fittings on the transmission and have an external cooler. Just make sure it's not near the exhaust.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
I'd be careful on the transmission end, it's awfully close to the exhaust. It's tight in there anyway.

Near the radiator I have no problem with transmission line rated hose.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
I ran rubber lines rated for transmission fluid on mine. I installed barbed fittings on the transmission and have an external cooler. Just make sure it's not near the exhaust.
i did the samething on Eagle Eyes one other thing is to make sure that the lines are also well away from the front driveshaft. ::)
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
thanks for the responses. sounds like I can do what I wanted.

got another problem, I'm swapping out the transmission now.
I had problems getting it out because of a stuck stud on the t-case
and split it at the front of the extension housing, a bunch of fluid ran out.
Now I can't find a replacement for the gasket that was there, is it ok to use silicon?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:59:38 AM by trout »
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon w/ 1988 258 and front axle, 727/NP-229 combo, Hurst shifter + twin sticks, and power bulge hood.

Offline trout

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

I've been looking for these barbed fittings, do you remember where you found them?
I've found plenty with the m10x1.0 straight pattern, but none with the taper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk