News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 08:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: engine replacement, timing? problems  (Read 6417 times)

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
engine replacement, timing? problems
« on: October 19, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
Apologies to come here with my problems, but I hope someone here can figure out what I am missing.
After a long slow engine swap project, putting a used 84 jeep motor into my 85 wagon, I finally went to start it, without good luck.  Will not start, fires out the carb.  I figured I must have been a notch off on the timing chain (put a new one in) so I took the front of the motor apart, and the timing was aligned correctly.  got fuel, got spark, what to do? It acts as if it is firing with the intake valves open, but I do not think they could all be stuck, i.e. it would run on 4...  Anyone have a course of action to reccomend?

rohnk

Re: engine replacement, timing? problems
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
Ignition module?

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:05:02 PM »
Could the distributor be out 180 degrees?

That was my first thought, and will cause it to backfire through the carb.

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
Line up the timing marks, see if the distributor rotor points to the #1 cyl.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
Timing, definitely,.....  Set it to TDC then give it a 10deg advnce before firing.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
Is it alive and running?

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:02:46 AM »
Could the distributor be out 180 degrees?

Try the other number 1.

Manitowoc WI

Offline neweagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
Hey Mudkicker, what is the DD mean in your Eagle ownership list?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »
DD = Daily Driver ;D
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »
ok the dist. is not 180 off, and I took the valve cover off with the dist. off and pumped the oil up to the top.  apparantly this motor sat for some time.  after the lifters are pumped up, it quit backfiring through the carb, but still will not run.  it fires at most once, then nada.  took apart and cleaned the weber carb. 
Is there a oil pressure cuttoff on this?  I have a 3-wire plug hooked to the oil pressure uinit, but is there also a single?  If so I cannot find it.  I also cannot find where the double gray wire goes, that has a single round plug on the end, that comes out of the harness on the driver side.  There are a lot of wires that have not been hooked up for a long time, I should have labeled better when I took apart.
 and finally but probably most important, I hooked up a spark plug and turned the key, and I have spark turning the starter, but as SOON as I let of the key spark goes away.. 
I have been trying to read the eaglepedia and I cannot find a TSM for this car.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:47:09 PM »
Trying to gather your stement of let off the key spark is gone. How did you determine its not 180*off

Manitowoc WI

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 03:54:12 PM »
I clamped a spark plug to the dipstick tube with the #1 wire, turned key, could see spark, but when I let off key (starter) the motor still spins a bit but with no spark..  How many wires go to the starter? 
I had the valve cover off and watched the intake valve open, brought the mark up to TDC, took dist. cap off and saw it pointed (close to) #1

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 04:04:07 PM »
Than I lean to ignition module. Just a thought. For some reason you have no power when in run.

Manitowoc WI

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »
Could also be the starting solenoid but I vote for wiring or ICM.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
It sounds like an electrical problem is involved. There is only one wire to the starter from the solenoid. You will want to check for about 8v-12v at the coil in run (or you can check the diagnostic connector).

Check the wiring diagram: http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=6_Cylinder_Engine_Wiring_Schematic
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 05:53:18 PM »
Thanks guys (and possibly gals) I found the wire going to the ICM that was hlaf-way pushed together that I was missing.  Got the ol' 258 to start!   BUT there is what sounds like a rod knock... :-\ fail

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
Lube EVERYTHING and use some mystero oil in there.  You can run a quart of ATF through the engine oil too.  Knocking could be timing or exhause leak too.
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon

Offline wampus_cat

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 06:34:36 PM »
marvel mystery oil'd, no luck...I had a couple other people listen to it, and a rod knock is a rod knock, unfortunately. 
question:  How hard is it to remove the pan, engine in car?  maybe I could find the bad one and replace it with a bearing from the other engine...

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
For something like that you might have to drop the front cross-member. That's true Rambler Mentality thinking, though, and people have done it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk