News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 02:09:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adjustable rocker arm convertion?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
  • Quicksand!, What quicksand?
Adjustable rocker arm convertion?
« on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
My tired ole 258 heads got valve issues, and I want to swap in the 4.0 head, the problem is Ive already got .050 milled off the block, and will most likely mill the 4.0 head before I install it, and Ive already spaced the rockers .050.

custom push-tubes dont seem expensive till you have to buy 12 of them, at 4-5$ a piece, it can add up. but a stock set of used rockers from a bone yard would be far cheaper I would think. I want to go with adjustable rockers like on a SB Chevy, I know they wont fit, but just loosen till they tick and tighten them half a turn, you're done. But How about the 1.7 ratio rockers off a GM inline 6? they are self centering rockers similar to the ole small-blocks, and a 1.7 ratio compared to the 4.0's 1.5 ratio is sure to be beneficial, Has anybody tried this yet?

Or might I end up with spring, seal, or piston clearance issues?

2001 Subaru Outback (the official car of Co.)
1979 Bronco, hauler/crawler, (Monster)
2014 Invacare T7A, (my new legs/wheels)

possible future rig......
imagine an AMX  on a FSJ frame.....

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Adjustable rocker arm convertion?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
I don't think that valve to piston clearance is an issue, but the springs may coil bind if too much lift from the higher ratio rockers.  You could find the spec's of the cam you are using, and the installed height of the springs and do the math.  There may be enough room to run the higher ratio rockers with room to spare, but I would check first.  Who knows, that extra lift might add performance!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »
Ok, Ford 400M pushtubes are roughly 0.125 shorter, so take the 0.050 off the block, and 0.050 off the head, that leaves me with .025 (ish, Ill have to mic) and the range for preload was pretty forgiving except when I put in the cam, I was already just over the spec, hence the shims. Ill have to check out the preload specs again, but 0.025 should be well within my safe zone.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Instructions/Files/145.pdf

Yup, 0.030, +/- 0.010. Im gonna have to measure the difference in lengths though to be sure, but this should put me right at 0.025 preload, hold on and Ill research it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:41:19 AM by monsterbronc »

There is nothing wrong with my legs, they just wont do a :censored: thing I tell them!

Offline monsterbronc

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 23
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »
Hmmm? stock pushtube length for a 258 is 9.7 inches

Stock pushtube length for a ford 400M (P# D1AZ6565A) 9.51 inches

so the ford pushtubes I scrounged are 0.19 shorter,  Darn  :censored: they might be too short

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:55:15 PM »
The best way is to get a pushrod length checker. Trend makes a good one. Not sure of the price, you have to contact them to buy one. http://www.trendperform.com/index.php?go=tools Then you can order custom length pusrods. The real precise guys will either use shims under the rockers pedestals or machine some off the the pedestals mount to get the rocker geometry correct and then measure for pushrods. Adjustable rockers are available from a few sources. You can check the web for that info.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk