News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 11:14:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric transfer case vacuum servo?  (Read 9905 times)

rohnk

Re: Electric transfer case vacuum servo?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
The only prob I see w/ locking the front axle is you will always be pushing it.  I did that w/ a GWag once and regretted it.  It did work though, but turning sucked even in 2wd.

I can use a flat rate box (USPS) for shipping if you want some.  What ever that comes to

[email protected]

No worries if you have a better plan, was just a thought that popped in the noggin
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
I did a little looking into thtis myself when i was farting around with the vacuum system on my 84. Fed up with not enough vacuum and weak pots and such.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm think door lock actuators might be the ticket. They are strong enough to engage the transfer case while being slow enough not to break anything.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »
The only prob I see w/ locking the front axle is you will always be pushing it.  I did that w/ a GWag once and regretted it.  It did work though, but turning sucked even in 2wd.

I can use a flat rate box (USPS) for shipping if you want some.  What ever that comes to

[email protected]

No worries if you have a better plan, was just a thought that popped in the noggin

My 84 was locked up in the front axle since I got it almost 10yrs ago. It drives like/as it should.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 01:28:01 AM »

[email protected]

It should make no diference to the handling of the car. Eagles even come stock with the front diff locked in. 80's and some early 81's were full time 4X4 and it was only from 81 to 84 or 85 that you could get an eagle with an unlocking front diff. Everything beyond 84/85 has a locked in diff and it dosen't effect the handling or turning of the car.

The gwag you used must of had some sort of LSD on the front for it to be difficult to turn.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

rohnk

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
Thanks again GRONK. I'll send a few dollars your way! :occasion14:

Door lock actuators are another good idea. I wonder about them being sealed though. I might get one of those from a junker to try out.

Lots of ideas, now all I need is the time!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk