News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 28, 2024, 12:07:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solid axle swap??  (Read 18274 times)

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Solid axle swap??
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:48:36 AM »
Well I was thinking about maybe doing a solI'd front axle swap and I am seeking the advice of the people who did these swaps before.firstly what kind of jeep should I use I was thinking like a 90s Cherokee and what is the simplest way to do this(I am not saying it is simple)or what was the way you did and if it is posible do you have and pics of the hole process. I was thinking if the eagle is a unibody then it should have a subframe so if you just remove that plus getting area preped and removing all the parts then cutting the jeep frame so that the peice I cut will be the same length as the stock subframe and welding it to the body
"our greatest glory is not in never failing,but in getting up every time we do."-Confucius

"the definition of insanity is to do something over and over and expect a different result."-Ben Franklin

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
Re: Solid axle swap??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
I think Regal Wizard said her and Mick were going to attempt to do a write-up about the axle swap "sometime this year"  I'm looking to do the same thing on Francine, so I'm looking forward to that write-up too :D
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Soon to be for mountain fun times)
1997 Honda Civic (Daily driver in the winter)
2009 JM Star Scooter (Daily driver in the summer)
2010 Schwinn Hybrid Bike (Daily driver in Spring and Fall)

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
Plumb bob and imagination for creativity when using leaf springs as I did.

Manitowoc WI

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:11:04 AM »
I'd go with the non axle disconnect front axle if your going to use an XJ front axle 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I like mudkicker's idea - Bill actually mentioned it to me before as well and I'm going to attempt it later this spring.

From what I gather, the big difference is perfomance that's only going to be noticed if you're climbing. My guess is the leafs are probably a pretty rough riding ride.... but small sacrifice for more clearance, better looks, and probably an easier job. I've not done either - so I can't say which is easier and "best" in the long run, but I do know the whole advantage of using coil springs all around is better individual movement and smoother ride. You won't get that with leafs. But again, I'm not building a rock crawler or a daily driver.... I'm building a good looking, lifted Eagle to take to shows and Meets. Which is why again, for me anyways, I think the leafs are going to be cheaper and easier.

And again, I can't take all the credit for that info or my decision... Mudkicker obviously did it first and Bill gave me the idea back in the day.
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »
Also with leafsits best to have a high steer knuckle I need to convert mine still. I have parts but the snow bank just melted. Wj jeeps come stock with those.

Manitowoc WI

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
I like mudkicker's idea - Bill actually mentioned it to me before as well and I'm going to attempt it later this spring.

From what I gather, the big difference is perfomance that's only going to be noticed if you're climbing. My guess is the leafs are probably a pretty rough riding ride.... but small sacrifice for more clearance, better looks, and probably an easier job. I've not done either - so I can't say which is easier and "best" in the long run, but I do know the whole advantage of using coil springs all around is better individual movement and smoother ride. You won't get that with leafs. But again, I'm not building a rock crawler or a daily driver.... I'm building a good looking, lifted Eagle to take to shows and Meets. Which is why again, for me anyways, I think the leafs are going to be cheaper and easier.

And again, I can't take all the credit for that info or my decision... Mudkicker obviously did it first and Bill gave me the idea back in the day.
Solid axle swaps in general will decrease ride quality and adjustability, but obviously will increase offroad performance. When I get another wagon, I'll be doing an SAS  on it, and using coils. coils seem to allow for better articulation, and stand up to hard abuse a lot better (hence why baja 1000 trucks use them). Should also be a bit easier of a swap, since you can use the stock spring perch. Big concern would be making sure the oil pan is not in harms way, along with exhaust, if going for minimal lift.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »
Well my dad has a old cj5 with leafs front and rear and that thing doesnt ride bad at all
"our greatest glory is not in never failing,but in getting up every time we do."-Confucius

"the definition of insanity is to do something over and over and expect a different result."-Ben Franklin

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
Solid axle swaps in general will decrease ride quality and adjustability..... Should also be a bit easier of a swap, since you can use the stock spring perch. Big concern would be making sure the oil pan is not in harms way, along with exhaust, if going for minimal lift.

Ummm.... One, no (for me, at least), ride quality was not decreased, if anything it improved, & I fail to see how a SAS is any less adjustable then stock IFS. ??? Two, stock spring perch, not so much, unless you are keeping the lift to a minimum, but even that may be tricky. Oil pan & exhaust shouldn't be any kind of issue if you never off road the car; it's only when you start crawling over sharp pointy rocks & coming down heavily onto hard surfaces that dents, holes, & squashed pipes become an issue - but even then, skid plates can be made & bolted into place.

I won't go into suspension geometry, articulation angles or anything like that, but there is a very big reason every newer 4x4 vehicle that isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton has IFS and IRS in some cases. If it improved ride quality over bumps, your front end was in sorry shape.

Appropriately placed bumpstops help with exhaust and oilpan issues.

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:11:13 PM »
but there is a very big reason every newer 4x4 vehicle that isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton has IFS and IRS in some cases.

Because no one uses a 4x4 for offroad anymore. [Sadly]
Everyone wants their SUV to drive like a Corolla hah.
I get so many complaints at the shop I work at, because people buy giant SUV's and want touring tires on them instead of semi-aggressive tread patterns like they come with.
People buy their huge 4x4's for the mall.
I don't know how much articulation you need there.. maybe run up on a curb or something  ;D

But look at something more offroad oriented like a Wrangler. Still comes with a solid axle.
Most SUVs have an over-softened suspension these days.

Solid axles are a lot more durable though. The reason a lot of 3/4 or 1 ton trucks ride like crap, is the suspension is setup to hold a lot of weight, so unloaded they 'bounce or float' a lot. I get the fun task of breaking in the new construction trucks before there is any equipment on them for my dad's company, they're all fine after you get some weight into them.

Each has pros/cons.
Baja trucks are also rebuilt constantly and cost hundreds of thousands. Not exactly a fair comparison. A Baja Trophy Truck runs just over a million to build.

Coil overs work well though.

No matter what though, I would put skid plates on anything I took offroad [and I do.]

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
Sadly that's what the world has come to you see more house moms drive 4x4 than guys!!!

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:26:57 AM »
but there is a very big reason every newer 4x4 vehicle that isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton has IFS and IRS in some cases.

Because no one uses a 4x4 for offroad anymore. [Sadly]
Everyone wants their SUV to drive like a Corolla hah.
I get so many complaints at the shop I work at, because people buy giant SUV's and want touring tires on them instead of semi-aggressive tread patterns like they come with.
People buy their huge 4x4's for the mall.
I don't know how much articulation you need there.. maybe run up on a curb or something  ;D

But look at something more offroad oriented like a Wrangler. Still comes with a solid axle.
Most SUVs have an over-softened suspension these days.

Solid axles are a lot more durable though. The reason a lot of 3/4 or 1 ton trucks ride like crap, is the suspension is setup to hold a lot of weight, so unloaded they 'bounce or float' a lot. I get the fun task of breaking in the new construction trucks before there is any equipment on them for my dad's company, they're all fine after you get some weight into them.

Each has pros/cons.
Baja trucks are also rebuilt constantly and cost hundreds of thousands. Not exactly a fair comparison. A Baja Trophy Truck runs just over a million to build.

Coil overs work well though.

No matter what though, I would put skid plates on anything I took offroad [and I do.]

Very true. I guess what i mean is swapping to solid axle on an eagle in hopes of improving ride quality is going to generate the opposite effect. However, if doing so for function, it works out quite well :D And, I agree about the whole SUV thing. Most people use them as grocery getters, and that's it. My family is of a dying breed I guess... when we had the 95 Bronco, my dad used to take it camping, fishing and wheeling all the time. Did the same in mom's '00 land cruiser too, though thanks to tight schedules it's back to being a 'getter. I can't stand seeing someone lift a truck and put all this pretty crap on it and never use it. Most joke (j/k... as in 07-up wrangler) owners I see around are that way, fancy warn bumpers, winches, tires etc, and not a single tree scrape on the pretty black paint. All the TJ owners and XJ owners know what's up though :D

What's your 'sona?

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:06 AM »
Same here we don't even have a SUV but my dad still finds ways to go off roaring in our 97 grand am!!!

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 01:31:53 AM »
There really isn't a way to stop a punctured oil pan I mean it happen just have to learn from your mistakes and try not to do it again when a trail looks like you might get your self in trouble or think you will hurt then don't second guess yourself I learned this through my dirt bike and have carried it over lot of sharp rocks sticking up then don't go there using this method I haven't gotten my self in trouble once!

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 01:48:20 AM »
I have a few pictures I should post of my skidplate bent in a V from a few unexpected objects during water crossings etc. I just unbolted it.. heated it up with torches and bent em back.. and bolted back on :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:05:26 AM by Sunny »

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 01:49:20 AM »
Haha ya it's sorta like the hole"hey guys watch this !!!" situation half time it's guys trying to show off and they bite more that they can chew thats when carnage starts

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:22 AM »
Hahahaha ya!!that exactly what I was talking bout!!!

Offline MontanaEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »
That pic is awesome.  Dude up top with his sunglasses halfway off and the dude on the bottom still holding his can of Old Milwaukee (could be Dr Pepper, but Old Mil is funnier). :D
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon (Soon to be for mountain fun times)
1997 Honda Civic (Daily driver in the winter)
2009 JM Star Scooter (Daily driver in the summer)
2010 Schwinn Hybrid Bike (Daily driver in Spring and Fall)

"It may be too early to drink scotch, but it's never too early to think about scotch"

Offline SS eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
Haha classic Canadian red neck right there

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »
I won't go into suspension geometry, articulation angles or anything like that, but there is a very big reason every newer 4x4 vehicle that isn't a 3/4 or 1 ton has IFS and IRS in some cases. If it improved ride quality over bumps, your front end was in sorry shape.

Appropriately placed bumpstops help with exhaust and oilpan issues.

(I never said anything about bumps), but nope, my front end was just fine; in fact, the SAS gave me a smaller turning radius & better handling in the corners. She's slightly top heavier now, but that's due to the extra weight of the roof rack & full size spare up there.

I don't know what kind of terrain you're used to wheeling on (I'm assuming you wheel :) ), but out here, all the bump stops in the world aren't going to help when you've got three wheels on the rock & one wheel coming down off. Experienced & noob wheelers all eventually squash something, be it merely rocker panels or the oil pan - the smart ones armor their rig before this happens.
Most of the stuff out here is rocks, though we also have a huge playground, the sand dunes in the four corners area, if I remember right. I've done a good amount of wheeling though I couldn't go too often, I like having spotters and was hard to make time to take friends. Got a 95 bronco stuck on a category 8 trail, had to call some friends at 3 am to help me out.

What's your 'sona?

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 01:25:24 AM »
Got a 95 bronco stuck on a category 8 trail, had to call some friends at 3 am to help me out.

I've got that call a bunch of times.
"Uhh.. can you come here?.. We're stuck.."
For some reason, they can never admit how badly they're stuck until you get there.. :P

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 01:55:07 AM »
Got a 95 bronco stuck on a category 8 trail, had to call some friends at 3 am to help me out.

Details? Build on the Bronco & just what do you consider to be a category 8 trail? ???

bronco was a Eddie Bauer, 95, 5.8L, bone freakin stock. The trail I was on was listed as a category 8 trail, and I believe that's an 8 out of 10 scale. I got it hung up on the stock step support rails, and ripped them to shreds and dented the fender up from friends pushing on it to get the truck out. Those rocks weren't small... that trail was considered advanced, with lifts, lockers and winches as standard equipment. I honestly should have never been on that trail, but I was younger and dumber....

What's your 'sona?

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:32 AM »
Don't mind her, she's used to the kitchen. No such thing as a category 8 trail there :P.
In all seriousness though, they don't use #'s to rate trails around here either. Basically just Stock/Light Modified/Heavy Modified.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 02:30:21 AM »
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=HGR221-016 trail description

The sign at the base of the canyon had it listed as category 8, in the parking area. all of this section has since been closed down, permanently. This all happened about six years ago. I've grown up wheeling on trails to campsites, that's all my family could afford to do for summer fun, we never went to Disneyland or went on cruises. Instead, before we had the 95, we had an 86 bronco, and we took it wheeling and camping and fishing, constantly.

What's your 'sona?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 03:36:01 PM »
lol nice, most of my restaurant experience was in the kitchen as well XD

What's your 'sona?

Offline luvmysx/4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1982 sx/4 with 85,000 miles :)
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »
alright so im lookin to do a solid axle swap on my 82 sx/4 but im havin alot of trouble finding a conversion kit. does someone know where to find one??
if not can someone popint in the right direction to fabricating one????  :eaglebig:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk