News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello Wisconsin!  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Hello Wisconsin!
« on: February 03, 2021, 09:50:08 PM »
Howdy folks!  Long time lurker, first time poster.  I've been sopping up bits and pieces of information on repairing my Eagles from this very fine forum for a few years now, figured it was finally time to jump in and mix it up with all the other AMC’ers.  The IllEagle is a 1984 Sedan, 4.2 automatic, A/C, 2.35 highway cruiser gears, 180k.  Holley 2-bbl and some 16’s are the only things not stock.  I also have an 84 Wagon relaxing in my parking lot after nearly being junked.

A little about me.  Originally made in Arizona, I’m currently up in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.  Close enough to Kenosha for the locals to lovingly (or jokingly, I’m not sure...) refer to Eagles as ‘Kenosha Kadillacs.’  I have two, and they’re the only ones in town that see the road.  I saw a shiny Kammaback for sale on the side of the road one day, my old lady said, “Look another Eagle!  Let’s save it.”  I said, “Nah, that one’s in good shape.  Someone will buy that one.”  My Eagles would’ve been crushed and turned into Priuses or something if I hadn’t saved them.  The second one I literally bought for $200 off the back of a scrapper's tow truck.  I know, shameful.  It was nice, just needed a gas tank.  It even had a new gas tank in the car!  I never pulled my wallet out so fast in my life.

Anyway, I’ve been wrenching full time for over 15 years, so I have tools, experience, and knowledge that many could only dream of.  Heated shop, two & four post lifts, torch, tire & alignment machines, dial indicators, oil pressure gauge, too much to list.  Sadly our Alldata and Mitchell ProDemand service information is very spotty for these machines.  A wall of old Motor manuals helps out more.  The Eagle's Den has been the most help by far.  The list of what I've had to do is too long to even think about, but includes rebuilding rear diff, transmission, transfer case, gearbox, front wheel bearing, and even getting that pesky valve cover to stop leaking.

But that was just the Eagles.  I've done a hundred times that on other people's cars.  Head gasket on a '31 Model A.  Full barn-find resurrections on a '41 Oldsmobile Series 76 and 66 Barracuda.  Show-quality handmade brake lines on a Galaxie and a Deville.  Brakes tie rods, and body mounts on a 72 Beetle.  Exhaust manifolds on an International Scout.  Vacuum line delete and odd wiring problems on an '82 CJ7.  Fuel tank and carb rebuild on an eye-wateringly pristine 30,000 mile all-original '60 Impala.  I could go on all day, these were just some of the fun ones;  usually it's Caravans and F-150s all day long.  By the way, don't ever buy an F-150.

So on the technical side of things, I hope to be able to contribute to the Eagle community by answering some questions and telling tales of what I have done to my Eagles.  I do regret not taking more pictures of what I have done, but because I work on cars all day, I just want to get the durn thing done more often than not.  Every job I do must be done when we’re closed and out the door by the time the shop opens for business.  Now you know where all my holiday weekends are spent.  This makes time and having the correct parts crucial when doing major repairs.  And getting the correct parts for an Eagle in the 21st century...

Sorry to ramble on.  I know this place isn't exactly teeming with life, and I can't say how regular I'll be around here, but I look forward to being a part of this eclectic group.  If you have a question or need help do not hesitate to ask.  I do not Facebook or check my e-mail often; a PM might be noticed sooner.  Let's keep/get those AMCs rolling!
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Hello Wisconsin!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 11:40:45 PM »
Hi and welcome! I also have an 84 4dr Sedan, just restified.   good luck,  gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:17:37 AM »
welcome from a bit northeast of you.

Manitowoc WI

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 12:16:26 PM »
Welcome!  Sounds like you'll be a great member of the Den.  Shoot us some pictures of your Eagles when you get a chance!  thanks.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »
Howdy from Texas (its 85 degrees here today!!).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:39:39 PM »
Nice score $200! Welcome from MI

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 08:51:12 PM »
Welcome from colorado.
By the way, don't ever buy an F-150.
:rotfl: I tell people that all the time but they never seem to want to listen.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 05:13:27 AM »
Ford F-Series Achieves 43rd Consecutive Year As America's Best Selling Truck. The tradition continues. Ford's F-Series line of pickups have been America's Best Selling Truck for 43 years straight. For the past 38 years, Ford F-Series trucks have also been the Best Selling Vehicle in America.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 11:44:51 PM »
hi, ok now I'm curious , why don't buy a F150?   gz

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 06:05:05 PM »
Thanks all for the warm welcome.  I don't want to start anything, so all I have to say about it now is  :censored:

Pictures and and the incredible true story of my first Eagle will be coming soon in the 'Your Eagles' section!  She just rolled over to 181k on the odometer yesterday; strangely enough, I passed an Eagle Vision less than a minute later.

Offline 80amc

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 08:19:59 AM »
Nice to see another Eagle Collector on the forum that is close to where I live here in Watertown, WI!  Hope to see your cars sometime at a show down in this area. Consider Watertown's Riverfest Car show this summer, great show with hundreds of different cars through the ages; a little of everthing! (I'd likely get to meet you there).

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
I used to roll down to Watertown on a regular basis to visit family while they were still around.  I don't think the Illeagle is up to car show standards, but I might just take you up on that offer, 80amc!  I'll probably skip boy band tribute night though.  :rotfl:  I'll let you know if I'm coming when we get a little closer to August; maybe mudkicker or others will want to join in too...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk