News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 06:00:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm Back......  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Jim80470

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1982 SX4
I'm Back......
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:28:07 PM »
Re posting this as a stand alone. I may have originally put this in the wrong  place:::

Haven't been to the site in a while. Had an 81 SX4 years ago.....lost to an engine fire from a PS pump that dried up and seized while driving. Joined this site when I went on a search for another one (SX4).

Took me quite a long time to sniff out a decent SX4 on a multi state search.....and by a stroke of amazing luck, I found one closer than I dreamed, 10 miles from my house. AND in way better mechanical condition than I could have hoped for at a pretty fair price.

Landed an 82 SX4, select drive part time 4x4, 258 six and a 5 speed manual, Poster Child Red over Black paint. Owned by "a little old lady" who bought it second hand in 1983 and has had it since. In 2000 her son, a mechanic, said "mom.....lets get you a new car, reliable and modern..." She had put 200K on the Eagle. Being the typical senior who's had one car their whole life she, said "no way....I love this car".

Long story short.....Mechanic son wanted moms car reliable, so he took it to work and rebuilt the motor and tranny and put in a new clutch. Mom drove it for a year.....then bought a new Cadillac.....and the Eagle sat in the garage for the next 9 years.....

She retired and her sight was failing. She sold many belongings for retirement cash. Next up....The Eagle. Right place and time for me during a craigslist search one day. I drove it and bought it on the spot.

After sitting so many years....it had some hiccups, but all simple. My local mechanic tweaked the carb and some frozen anti pollution items, and the rebuilt motor came to life and passed emissions better than a new car.

Been driving it just under two years as my commuter and play car, and by now I am confident she is still solid as a rock and worth dropping some change on.

My Mods so far (simple): New rear springs and lifted it just under 2 inches. 225x75x15 all terrains. Old man Emu nitro shocks from a donor Jeep in the rear. Rebuilt a couple wheel cylinders and the slave cycl for the clutch.

On Tap for this week, Major Mod: Found a donor 2 speed transfer case, NP 229 out of a rolled Grand Cherokee. Had it serviced and a new visc coupler installed. Stock unit set for removal to swap the tail housings (for speedo cable proper alignment). My dream of an SX4 with low range......just a week away...... :hello2:

Offline Jim80470

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1982 SX4
Re: I'm Back......
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
Need help on how to edit a post after it's been posted AND how to add a photo. Looked thru the site and couldn't find info on that.

Thanks

JIM

Offline Jim80470

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
  • 1982 SX4
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
OK.....found the photo info. Looks like a pain in the butt......so pic-less for now......sorry.

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 11:25:30 PM »
If you want,  I could post the pics for you.  Just email them to me.  My email is in my profile. 
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
OK.....found the photo info. Looks like a pain in the butt......so pic-less for now......sorry.

I see you found out how to make your own thread.

The pictures are really quite easy. You can just get a photobucket account. Upload your photos and then when you are in the album view in photobucket all you have to do is hover your cursor over the photo you want to load and then click the copy direct link button.

Then come to your post in here and above all the emoticon smilies you will see an F with a red circle and then next to that is a square photo looking thing that resembles the Mona Lisa! :) Click that button and then paste in your copied direct link to the photo you wanna post. It's really quite easy. If you just link us to your photobucket with your photos loaded I could just post the photos in here for you.

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »
Jim--PM sent

Ken
amkfken
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk