News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:18:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.0L Head and EFI swap  (Read 19203 times)

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
4.0L Head and EFI swap
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
Recently pulled an old tired 4.2L out of the Eagle for a rebuild and thought, why not?  So here I am rebuilding it with a 4.0L camshaft and cylinder head and putting the EFI setup from a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee onto it.  I'll have more pictures and info as I go along.  I will hopefully have some great numbers afterwards too, planning to dyno it before I change to a Mega Squirt system and do any radical changes.  Little about my car, 85 wagon, it was a stock 4.2L with computer bypass, stock carburetor, TFI upgrade with 60k volt coil, ENVALVE, smog and vacuum gutted to my preference(4WD selector, EGR, and intake valves on the air cleaner), 3.53 gears, and 3spd. auto with lockup. I averaged around 16-17mpg and 19 highway.  Doing this as I lost compression in number 3 cylinder.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: 4.0L Head and EFI swap
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
Good to have another 4.0 head project here.
Using the 4.0 camshaft is a good idea too.
Did you have the water sockets in the head welded up?
What are your plans for the exhaust manifold?
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:46:46 PM »
I used JB Weld on the water jackets.  For now I am sticking with the stock 4.0L header and modifying the exhaust to route the right way.  Once I get the rings set and the engine broken in, I'm planning on switching to a Mega Squirt system, higher flow injectors, and putting a small Turbo on it to beef up the old girl and see what I can do without going too overboard.  Of course with the Turbo, I'll have to switch to an electric fan and probably a serpentine belt to keep it from slipping too much, but that is in the future.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
I have electric fans, on a homemade frame:

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
Woah that looks really nice. Are those tornado fans by any chance?

How does the whole thing sound when it runs? :o
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
No tornado fans, just some cheap fans from the evil bay, 80Watts 1250 CFM each.
They are still offered on the bay for about 15$ each.
I wanted to test if they had any influence on the fuel milage.
No measurable influence as far as I can say.
What I did notice is that they are never running, as long as you go faster than 15MPH they will never switch on because of engine temperature.
They are very quiet because of thet S-shaped blades.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »
How much did that setup cost you? I might have to get some measurements from you ;)  Are those 3 solenoids by the battery what you wired in to control them?  I would probably wire them into my 4.0 harness and fuse block to get rid of that code and keep it at it's happiest temperature.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
I installed a dual fan setup from a Chrysler vehicle. It works great under normal circumstances however, when it's over 90 degrees or up inclines, it gets really hot. I also didn't notice any difference in MPG. Carguy, do you have any experience with Megasquirt?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
That set-up cost me about a $100. I have two relais switching the fans.
One relay is operated by the coolant temperature, the other by switching on the A/C.
The frame was made from left-overs from the company I work for.
It was intented as a temporary test, but since it functions very well, it stays in for the time being.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
Wow, it's been hectic here with my new job and the holiday weekend.  I finaly got some time to work on the car yesterday.  I managed to get the engine put together, painted, installed in the car, and most of the electrical installed.  I thinned out the harnesses quite a bit, but I got in a rush and couldn't thin down the harness going to the tranny and inside the vehicle yet, but what I did pull out gave me a lot more room.  For my CPS I welded up some angle iron to hold a piece of flatstock above a hole I cut into the transmission housing.  I will hopefully get a chance to run the plumbing and rest of my vacuum lines tomorrow as I finally have a day off.  I'll add updates and hopefully some pictures of the process in a couple days.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:26:45 AM »
So your using the factory computer first and then switching to Megasquirt later? The CPS won't be used with Megasquirt, ha e you figured out which way you'll trigger the MS?

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1180803230/30

your megasquirt should work the same, or at least close. this one is turbo, and a 4.0.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1180803230/30

your megasquirt should work the same, or at least close. this one is turbo, and a 4.0.
Tom modified the distributor to trigger the Megasquirt. He's quite the smart guy.

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 09:53:25 PM »
Debating on the MS trigger.  I am either going to use the distributor like many have, or my favored option, switching to a coil on plug setup like the newer model 4.0's and running a reluctor ring on the crank dampner to trigger the MS.  Right now giving it a proper break in is on top of the list though. Finaly got a few hours to do some work on it yesterday.  I was able to mount the fuse box and fab up a mount for my fuel pressure regulator, I wanted to put it up in the engine bay to keep it accessible and more accurate at the rail.  I also got my radiator, fan, and rest of my plumbing back in.  Pulled out the cable to rig up my transmission pressure actuator, just used the cable housing from the donor 95' Jeep and made a bracket to mount to the back of the tranny, I then went to the local Tractor Supply and grabbed a length of same size cable that was long enough to mount to the actuating arm.  Had to stop work to check out another side job and because I ran out of Fuel Injection hose clamps (I was 3 short :().  Hopefully Friday will be the break-in day.  Maybe post pics Saturday and a short description to keep everyone from guessing, lol.

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
Your project has me interested... I wanted to get some numbers down on mine so bad, and I was just a week or two away from doing it. MAKE SURE you get teh right size injectors the first time, should be no less than 24lbs/hr. I think I may have toasted the ring in the one I sold from a super lean condition at some point in time. Take it to a mechanic with a OBDI capable scan tool and have them check your fuel trim once it's running.  I'm very interested in the numbers...
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk