News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:57:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: weber e85?  (Read 3983 times)

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
weber e85?
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
I'm rebuilding my motor I got some preformance 9.2 pistons over bored 40 over going to zero deck the block and mill some off the head also so I can get about an 11 to one compresion raito I've done the 4.0 head swap have a shorty header to put on it and want to get a weber carb because I've heard we can reuse the old intake manafold now with a compression raito of 11 to 1 I need something higher octane that regular old gas so I figured I would set my rig up to run on e 85 new gas lines and such I want to get the high preformance weber carb that's like 400 cfm but I'm having trouble finding one that's set up for e85 dose anyone know what I need to do to said carb or where I can get a rebuild kit so it can run off e 85?

Offline Softbuster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: weber e85?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 07:37:48 AM »
you would need to change out all the gaskets and replace them with polyurethane as if you would be racing with alcohol.  (because thats what ethanol is)  Because alcohol eats rubber like termites eat wood.

And then the government wonders why nobody wants ethanol gas  ::)
1985 Eagle sedan rescue project

Offline wagonmaster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:30:57 AM »
sounds like you've done your homework demigawd. although if the engine would take it you would be even happier with a 12:1 compression. as far as the carb a rebuild kit and a few different jet sizes should allow you to dial it in. as you probably already know, ethanol has about 70% the btus of gas but a significantly higher octane. that means the specific fuel consumtion is higher, but when used in a high compression engine the fuel economy improves. assuming you can keep your foot out of it. let us know how it goes. im sure there are others here who would be interested.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
The carb will have to be readjusted for a much richer mixture, and high compression is good for e85, propane, or CNG. There will be some power reduction, but with a high compression engine it will be close to gas.

For the carb, you'll want a higher CFM then stock, the extra fuel will take more volume. Also you want to get new jets. I don't recall if the Weber uses step-up pistons, rods, or whatever, but you may need those too. I think the Webers have a very adjustable idle, so they're good for this kind of change.

I'd go ahead and pick up a wideband O2 sensor kit for tuning, it'll save your investment. The best thing about them is that the sensors are the cheapest part, so you can put them any car you have, or your buddy's car, and really get use out of them.

And definitely, definitely keep the water heated intake, electric element, and exhaust heater. E85 takes a lot more heat out of the intake charge then gasoline.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »
thanks for the awesome info the weber carb i was looking at says it come with different size jets so it may already have what i need i just have to make sure to get the right gaskets and ill have to see if i can push any more compression outta my motor im not sure but i may be able to take it to 12 to one ill look into that some more

Offline Demigawd

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:23:29 AM »
Sweet I found some flat top pistons so I can get my 12 to 1 raito it will be about 12.226 to one if anyone is intrested ill let ya know where I found them

Offline wagonmaster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »
very interested to see how this turns out for you. keep us posted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk