News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 12:47:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1983 SX/4 KEEPS Blowing fues's  (Read 1691 times)

Offline amcman73

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
1983 SX/4 KEEPS Blowing fues's
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »
Hi so i have a been haveing a problam with the Eagle blowing its dome light fuse that also messes up the clock every time it happens. So I tryed an other 10 amp fues and when I would start the car they would blow agen.Than got a 20 amp and after a few failed attempts to even get it in the fuse slot because they would gust blow I finnaly got a 20 amp in and my dome light was back on and my clock back than as soon as i started it there it went agen. If you have any ideas on how I can fix the problam Thanks A lot!!!

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: 1983 SX/4 KEEPS Blowing fues's
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »
When a fuse blows, it indicates that there is a short somewhere in the circuit. Replacing the blown fuse with a higher-amp rated fuse does not solve the problem. It can actually make it worse, since you are essentially eliminating the safety feature of the original rating for the fuse. You can damage the wires that are protected by the fuse, even melt them, or cause a fire, so don't do what you've already said you did, ever. It can also damage the fuseblock, melting it and making it hard to install fuses, and replacing a fuseblock is no fun at all.

You need to trace the wires to the dome light, through the door switches, and everywhere else the circuit goes, including the headlight switch and maybe some lights under the package tray, if you have those. If all the wires are fine(like no melted or worn-through insulation or bad tap-ins), then there is a component that has failed, like possibly the headlight switch or a door switch. Make sure that no one has tapped into the circuit to add something like extra interior "mood lighting" or wiring for a stereo or anything else, and done a poor job of installing it. The headlight switch has a separate black ground wire that attaches to the back, not part of the rest of the switch connector, make sure that is there. Also check the grounds for the dash wiring harness, which someone here can probably direct you where to look for it, since I forget where it is.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

rohnk

Re: 1983 SX/4 KEEPS Blowing fues's
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:03:38 PM »
Also, look for damage to the ight bulb socket or corrosion. I had a problem like this in an old Chevy Cavalier and the buld socket was damaged (bent) and would short out and blow the bulb and sometimes the fuse.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk