News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 06:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Location of AC water drain hose?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Location of AC water drain hose?
« on: October 12, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
My AC system has started dumping ice-cold water into the footwells.  I was wearing sandals the first time it happened, and it was so incredibly cold that my senses overloaded and interpreted the feeling as HOT, and I thought I had a fire down there!

I presume that there is a drain hose for the AC evaporator somewhere, and that it's clogged.

Does anyone know exactly where it is?  And the best way to access it and clear it out?  I'm hoping that I can get to it from the engine bay or underneath the car, and don't have to tear into my very brittle dash...

Thanks to all,
JohnBen
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Location of AC water drain hose?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
it is in the center of the transmission tunnel, you should be able to see a rubber tube going from the ac box to the floor. it then dumps the water right on top of the transmission.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
Thanks, 1985amceagle.  I removed my gauge center console and spotted the tube. 

I didn't see any straightforward way to disconnect it from the AC pan for cleaning, but I did see a kind of 'bellows' flexible joint, so I gave that a good squeeze-and-wiggle, hoping that the blockage was in there.  If that doesn't work, I'll try to get to it from underneath and run stiff wire up it to dislodge the obstruction.

Thumbs up awarded for your help.

John
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
It is possible to move that flexible joint as well. I don't know about manual transmission cars, but the automatics don't have that much room in between the floor board and transmission. back when my car was running low on air conditioning refrigerant, I had my evaporator freeze up on me, and I had some water come out onto the driver side floor before. from what I can tell though, my car has been involved in a wreck of some sort on the front end, as it has the wrong hood, and the paint on the front clip has deteriorated horribly over time compared to what is still the factory original paint on the rest of the car, so I believe I still have a slow leak.  with the package tray off you can see the evaporator, and if you are still having issues after checking out and clearing the drain tube, you may want to check the AC system to see if it is freezing up on you. I hope it is just a plugged evaporator, and a simple fix for you.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk