News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 03:32:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carb mishap, stalling, worth the trouble?  (Read 3495 times)

Offline dualbunny

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
Carb mishap, stalling, worth the trouble?
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:36 AM »
I have an '81 Eagle 4x4 wagon that was running alright (I can't say that it's ever run really *well* in the time I've owned it) until I pulled off the interstate onto an exit, at which point it stalled.  And from that point on, I've been playing the brake/gas, shift from drive-into-neutral game to get it anywhere while I try to figure out what the problem is.

The catalytic converter was shot, so I had that looked at first.  It was in fact plugged, so they replaced it, but no joy, still stalling.
Replaced the oil, air, and gas filters, along with the fuel pump and the coil. Still stalling.
I've rebuilt the carb before, but I figured something could be plugged so I pulled that off and picked up a rebuild kit.  In going over that, I managed to jolt it wrong with the top-most small cover off, popped out the rods and broke off one of the tabs on the little green plastic rod lifter.

Anyone have any luck repairing something like that?  If I glue it on, it seems likely to just snap off again.  Should I try to find a scrapyard replacement piece? Pretty slim AMC pickings around here in that respect?  In looking over posts, I admit I'm tempted by the promise of an easier to sort through carb/vacuum system like the MC swap, but since I don't even know if it's the carb right now, I'm a little hesitant to spend that money and still have hunting to do. 

Any opinions? I love this car when it cooperates, but it loves to test my patience. :P  Thanks for any thoughts...

--Christina

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Carb mishap, stalling, worth the trouble?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »
I probably have a spare plastic piece I could mail you - I have lots of parts carbs laying around.   Did you drill out the bottom of the idle bleed tubes per the AMC Service Bulletin when you did the carb last??   That cures lots of stalling issues.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline dualbunny

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:44:44 AM »
I would certainly take you up on that, since it would at least let me test it again.  And no, I haven't drilled them out yet. I didn't have the right size drill bit on hand, and I was hoping to see if cleaning it helped, in which case I'd probably give that a whirl to prevent it from happening again.  I didn't see any sediment or clogging to speak of.  I thought I saw some gas seepage around the large middle gasket, so that was my best guess so far if the carb cleanup ended up fixing anything.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
I'll go see if I can find one, and let you know later today.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:40:20 PM »
I found one.   PM me your snail-mail address, and I'll get it in the mail.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:44:30 AM »
I used a torch tip cleaner to ream out my Eagle's idle tubes. Aside from that, a sewing needle or safety pin works. Too bad you didn't ask before tackling this. I check things out first. Make sure the intake bolts are all tight. Grab the carb body and see if you can twist it (if you can, it comes off to tighten the through body bolts) No vacuum leaks, including a bad brake booster.
   Then I take the air cleaner lid off. Cross #1 and #6 plug wires at the cap and start the car (it will backfire). A couple quick revs (and pops) to clean it out then put them back straight. 9 out of 10 times the idle tubes get cleaned out.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk