News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:03:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power steering pulley?  (Read 8751 times)

Offline ScreamingEagle82

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Power steering pulley?
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
Where in the heck can I order a power steering pulley for my bird? I already have the new pump (no pulley) and the pressure hose and return. I am having a heck of a time finding the pulley though. The major parts stores in my area said they can't even order one and I can't seem to find one on line. Please someone help!! :banghead:
Tom K.
'87 Sedan DD/Work in Progress

Offline jim

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 102
Re: Power steering pulley?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »
If I remember correctly, I bought one from Advance and it came with the pulley, but that was a few years ago.  Would one listed for a Jeep work?  They may have better luck finding a Jeep part if it is interchangeable.
It may be a long shot, but did you try rockauto?
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline ScreamingEagle82

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
I can't use the old one. It has a big crack in it. (not from me. lol.) Like I said I tried the big distributors around here and no one can even order it. I guess I'll try that rockauto and see what's going on with that. If you guys have any more ideas on where to get one I'd love to hear them. Thanks for the quick replies though. That's one of the many reasons I love this forum. You guys are on top of any question anyone has. Thanks again.
Tom K.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
Not going to find a new one, unless there's one floating around MOPAR's old stock (PartsVoice shows none out there tho).    MOPAR part numbers are J3238275 for the serp-belt version, and J3226937 for the V-belt version (same for 4 or 6 cyl).   Going to have to find yourself a used one I'm afraid.   Someone on the Nest should have one I'd think.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline ScreamingEagle82

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »
Well I appreciate your looking for me. I guess I'll post something on here and see if anyone has one for sale. Thanks again everyone.
Tom K.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »
The Eagle power steering pump is a GM/Saginaw unit. I would think one could ask for a similar-vintage GM product pulley and be rewarded with something usable. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 10:42:55 AM »
The offset is different than most GM pulleys. XJ 4 cyls used the same as did the early 80s FSJs
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:51:27 PM »
OK...here's another idea. Ask for a pulley for a '74 International 200 series (3/4 ton) with 4-wheel drive and a 304 engine without A/C. I'm kinda grasping for straws and it's a shot in the dark. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk