News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:38:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alternator w/air, 1985 Eagle  (Read 9930 times)

amcconcord

Alternator w/air, 1985 Eagle
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »
I have a 1985 Eagle with Air, 64,250 miles on her, only owner!!!!  Being home just half a day, went out to start some of the Eagles in local storage! I  tend to use for wife and I this Eagle as a daily driver, though I have not been ceared to drive yet!
Anyway started this Eagle and belt squealed then broke from a/c to Alternator! I had a local garage off my AAA membership, come to the spot where my Eagle was kept, installed new belt from AutoZone, start her no noise, showed charging, it was strange that the man installing the new belt needed my help on instructions on how to install and tighten this belt, but after I showed him and he looked at me as if I had 5 heads,
belt did get installed and tightened. Left it alone for about three hours and I went back to restart the Eagle, and I could smell rubber burning
with hood open, then a squeal began again, it was the alternator belt, againist doctors orders, I drove the Eagle off the Island to mainland, then took a trip about 14 miles from landing, to a garage I trusted for years on all my AMC cars! To my surprise the old manager was moved up to another store, so was left with new people, I explained about belt problem at idle which seemed to go away at speeds of 65 miles per hour.
I wanted a short and load check done on the Eagle, and the belt changed to a Dayco  15290  belt installed!  I got a call within the last few minutes, saying they can't dup the squeal problem under full load charges just fine, no shorts when car is in off condition, or any condition!
They insist the adjuster for the alternator is bad as can't adjust it any further out. As with the AAA guy who could not figure out how to install belt
my first take is the kid, since I am about Doug's Age, I figure I can use that "kid" word on the 25 year old who was working on my Eagle, who went home after 8 hours working on the Eagle for alternator belt and electrical system check.
AAA man used a AutoZone cheap-O belt Duracrap or what ever! To be honest the new belt looked dry  rotted to me at first sight before going on car. The kid and manager who worked on Eagle will be back on shift tomorrow, at 8am to work on Eagle. It is my opinion that like the old never changed belt from factory, that broke, this cheap-O belt has stretched out or the kid does not under stand the center bolt on alternator before a install or take out of belt after removing air-conditioner belt from rider pully, must be turned back or loosened a few turns before bracket and top bolt are made loose, to get alternator to move either way belt on or off, he says won't move, So even though I don't want to, and will disregaurd doctors orders again, I expect to return to mainland tomorrow, drive to repair shop, if while looking under hood at left side where alternator is if I see that there is still room on slider bracket bolt, that the only problem is he nor manager do not know how to install or adjust the alternator belts, the have the dayco in stock there but won't replace cause "belt won't adjust from alternator ajustment bracket"
I am not sure since I can't see it till tomorrow, if this is the case, but since owned Concorrds, Hornets Eagles with air it has with out a doubt always been the case that the people working on this  issue as in same type of problem, always always don't believe that center bolt near or just above alternator needs to be loosened a few turns. My probem is the two green kids, one working on Eagle and other the Manager won't allow me in Bay to look or see what they claim? I tried to offer my TSM for the 1985 AMC Eagle, for them to use but they claim they have every record for every car truck ever made in there computer!!!!! My TSM they won't even look at, or refuse to do so!
I never owned no other make of car but AMC! I know these cars inside out!!! but I am weeak from my ordeal with cancer, long months in a coma,
can't repair myself!!! I will be there tomorrow morning at 8am, I will either have them back the Eagle out of bay so I can look or fight with them till blue in face!!! Has anybody here ever herad of the alternator ajuster with air ever going bad, just asking?
If it is as I suspect them not lossening the correct bolts, how can I convince them, they are wrong and I know more about this car then them? doing it kindly as losing my cool is not recomended in my state of health?
Need some help here on where to find in printed words maybe picture's to show there newbie's how to do this correctly, and if its the alternator adjuster how to, find a new one, any idea's?
I hate being dependant on people like this, it frustrating, anger management is what I need!!!!!!!!!!
Idea's here I can print, or pictures I can show. Please need mental help to convince these guys, or some info on alternator adjustors if bad.
Thanks, amcconcord

amcconcord

Re: Alternator w/air, 1985 Eagle [EaglePedia needed update]
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
When looking on Eaglepedia this subject was updated April 2013, but fails to mention that the newer 1985 foward have a alternator bracket with a 1/2-inch or 12.7mm square hole to facilitate adjustments, from above alternator with a 1/2-inch or 12.7mm drive rachet and extension.
Plus Eagles equiped with protective under body plates for Eagles with off road package, must be removed from under Eagle front bars to access Alternator, which as equiped this way alternator can't be removed or taken out of engine compartment from under hood must be dropped from bottom of Eagle, these Eagles when equiped this way normaly have the "Automatic Load Leveling System" which includes a under hode passenger side "Air Compressor" which make removal of Alternator from above or under hood impossible!!
How does one updae the EaglePedia?

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
Re: Alternator w/air, 1985 Eagle
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »
do you have the v-belt setup on your car? and most shops have the shop information on their computers nowadays. if the shop uses alldata and cant find the make, the brand is considered Eagle instead of AMC, Mitchell on demand calls the brand name AMC yet though.  now I am not sure if the belt adjustment is in the online information or not, or whether  they have just the serpentine belt setup in their system information.
1985 Eagle Wagon

amcconcord

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Don't know what you mean by V-Belt setup, my car uses a 19.5 inch Dayco 15299 belt seperate from A/c Belt seperate from power sterring belt.
V-belts are only in 1995 and newer correct? Car Makes?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 12:29:06 AM »
My '83 Eagle and '84 Jeep J10 had serpentine belt. '87+ with 4.0L were all serpentine belt and some '84+ XJ 2.5L are serpentine belt too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

amcconcord

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:45 AM »
I think I get your point!
First no AMC Eagle ever came equip. with a 4.0l engine, all were standard 4.2l or 258cu.
Jeeps did not start 4.0l until the 90's!
Eagles with 4 cyl engine's from looking up some data, may have had one Serp. belt, even that not sure on since my 1981 Kammback with a 4 Cyl
has no Serp. belts, anyplace!

So your Jeeps and Eagles are either rebuilds with modified engine blocks, or your Jeep/Eagles should be in World book of records.
Just saying.
All my AMC cars are was made from factory power plants and transmissions.
So to help clear up my need for help here is to better define what I have,
Factory power plant, factory belt system factory carberation, everything Factory as was in 1985.
Hope that helps!

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
Some cars were equipped with a serpitine belt from the factory, and Amc started production of the 4.0 in 86 for the 87 model year jeeps, which all came with a serpitine belt. From how it sounds, your car has one belt that runs the power steering pump, one to run the ac compressor, and one runs from the ac compressor to the alternator?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:04:42 AM »
Note: To run serp belt in my Eagle, I need a special serpentine clutch pulley for a big truck with York compressor.

I removed the AIR pump on mine (vee belt style) and re-did the belts. I plan to use the pulleys, etc from the ZJ I'm parting to go full serpentine belt. The Jeep and Eagle 4.2L Serp belt setup is 3/8" further forward than the Jeep 4.0L setup.

More pics

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/carnuck/library/AMC%20Eagle?sort=3&page=4
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:08:10 AM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

amcconcord

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:25:42 AM »
I have seen the Dig. of the Serp. belts, as was pointed out in The EaglePedia picture sent.

I for one have at on time every Amc car, model made including Jeeps, never saw in real life a Serp belt in any cay, my collect was 85 cars
1953 to 1988, from Hudson Hornet to a Turbo D. 1980 wagon, to Sundancers, to Natural gas Eagles and Concords, from
Factory!
I wonder if the Serp. Belt was sold to regions of the country, I do not understand why I never saw one?
But get your points they existed.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
There was an Eagle with a factory serpentine setup on eBay a short while ago, a California Emissions car. Most serpentine setups were destined for CA, but a few did get outfitted for other markets. I have some suspicions, but I can't tell you for sure why AMC did that.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 04:11:05 PM »
CA emissions and all Canadian models got the serp belt on 4.2L with an AIR pump.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
There was an Eagle with a factory serpentine setup on eBay a short while ago, a California Emissions car. Most serpentine setups were destined for CA, but a few did get outfitted for other markets. I have some suspicions, but I can't tell you for sure why AMC did that.
&
CA emissions and all Canadian models got the serp belt on 4.2L with an AIR pump.
Being in CA, I have had several Eagles with the serp belt & AIR pump.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

amcconcord

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
Well got my Eagle back after printing From the TSM I own, the idler pully bolt in my tsm must be untightened, to adjust alternator belt, which they claimed was broken cause it would not adjust or move for them, they used crappy belts that kept breaking as they used a bar tp pry on crappy belts. I blew my cool and brought them a Dayco 15299 belt heavy duty, showed them how to lossen the belt after removeing a/c belt.
As of now Eagle back home on Island, charging no sqeals, and think it only cost me $150.00 bucks to have them replace it in labor while I in basic stood over them showing them each step, they would not give keys unless bill was paid!
Paula took me home, my brother and her drove cars back here, I was so upset, I had to use nitro under my tounge as my chest filled me with pain.

Eagle fixed but I miss working on them with my own hands, this place on mainland MA. I have done work with since 1999 but manager retired and 21 year old took over, no more spending there from me they suck!
Seekonk Tire
Rt 6
Seekonk Ma
Rip off center of decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 01:18:03 AM »
Well got my Eagle back after printing From the TSM I own, the idler pully bolt in my tsm must be untightened, to adjust alternator belt, which they claimed was broken cause it would not adjust or move for them, they used crappy belts that kept breaking as they used a bar tp pry on crappy belts. I blew my cool and brought them a Dayco 15299 belt heavy duty, showed them how to lossen the belt after removeing a/c belt.
As of now Eagle back home on Island, charging no sqeals, and think it only cost me $150.00 bucks to have them replace it in labor while I in basic stood over them showing them each step, they would not give keys unless bill was paid!
Paula took me home, my brother and her drove cars back here, I was so upset, I had to use nitro under my tounge as my chest filled me with pain.

Eagle fixed but I miss working on them with my own hands, this place on mainland MA. I have done work with since 1999 but manager retired and 21 year old took over, no more spending there from me they suck!
Seekonk Tire
Rt 6
Seekonk Ma
Rip off center of decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am sure others would agree, but hearing that makes me wish I lived closer to you!  I would have gladly come over and put the belts on for you....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »
Ken,
After being sick for awhile some time back, and so was Doug with his open heart! I fully understand your frustration on know it  all techs try to milk jobs and really have no idea of which there job depends. "Good Car Repair tactic's" We need you here though and hope you off set your frustration to others you can depend on, such as your wife, or your twin brother, the diagrams on this simple task speak for themselves.
I do not like the idea you get so worked up that you almost get a heart attack!  There must be other members in your area, looking at the map of member locations of where they live, some are close, and I am sure if you offered if excepted gas money for the short trip to install the belt, would be worth allot in you not getting sick and others getting to know you!  I know when we talked a year ago about importance of history and why I came back here was to preserve history of this site, create a friendly place for people to come discuss Eagles and things, and keep the sharing of info alive. But its a place were we need to express ourselves also and to support each other, after much problems with my health, I can not do what I did before and had to learn to slow down, it can be depressing at times, but trust me you will live longer becoming a bit more slowed down, you have had near death of a Cancer you fight of which I have no idea how you fight just that each day and night, I also know your first fight with health way back is your weak heart, you if I remember right wear are kept alive by two pace makers, don't let others who have no idea of right and wrong get you down! I am in T.X. and wish also I could have helped you. In basic think of it this way, you helped others in your area, to stay away from that repair shop, if they can't change belts on these simple older cars, how will a new car look after they did a brake job or installed new tires?   :police: :lurk:
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:46:34 AM »
I too wish I was closer. I do what I can on my own rigs still (shop wanted $350 to lower the rad in mine! I re-drilled the holes without pulling it yesterday so now my hood closes all the way)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk