News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 09:05:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need help!  (Read 8091 times)

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
I need help!
« on: November 07, 2015, 10:26:06 PM »
So I'm basically a noob and a lurker.  I've lurked this forum for a few years and always said id buy an eagle one day.  I have minimal mechanical knowledge or knowledge on compatibility with modifications etc.  Basically I ended up with 2 eagles, and I really want to start building my 86 to be a daily driver.  I have an 85 in good condition with some rust on the unibody part of the driver side leaf spring.  What I am looking for... someone on here in the northeast with a good amount of experience with eagles and some time on their hands who would want to help me price a plan out and make a part list and guide me through a rebuild. What I will offer...parts to pick from the 85 and good company.  Im not going to type a novel so ill keep it short, thats really the gist of it.  Im downsizing after divorce and getting out of the army and just really want to build this beaut to move into the next chapter of my life.  My name is jason by the way.  Any way.. thanks for reading!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: I need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 06:11:28 PM »
Good luck in getting your Eagle back on the road.  I hope you can find somebody local to help guide you, I know I benefited a great deal from a friend of mine who turned into my mentor on all things automotive.  Where exactly are you in the northeast?  That may help find a Den member to give you a hand.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 03:21:58 PM »
southern new hampshire, about an hour north of boston and 5 minutes from the maine border on 95

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
COME ON GUYS, SOMEONE FROM NH/MAINE?!?!

Offline amchornet

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 05:56:25 AM »
I am sure you have seen this link...have you tried it?
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zyNrFs2eSZX4.kXdwco89CkaM
Joe Washburn
1976 hornet sedan 258 4.0 head mpfi
1985 eagle sedan 4.0 mpfi
1998 jeep grand

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »
sent a few emails, but no luck yet! keep your fingers crossed for me!

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »
The awesome thing about the Eagle is that they are very simple to work on, and are extremely similar to a Jeep. The best thing to do is stop being lazy, grab a few tool kits (socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers, big hammer, rubber mallet and a jack) and use this place as a resource. Where I live there is nobody familiar enough with them, I found a few guys familiar with Jeeps and used them as a resource.

Engine is the same as old Jeeps.
Front and rear axles are from a Jeep (well, front is a independent front suspension Dana 30)
Electrical is near identical to early Cherokees.

Start off with checking for leaks and rot.. Around the windshield is the most common, as well as the well nuts in the roof. Open the back hatch, look under the car where the leaf springs mount, then go back into the hatch where they connect and dig into the area with a screw driver. Do not be gentle as this is one of the worst rot areas in the car and gets covered by the 1/4" of paint crap they put in from the factory. Other bad place is near the front drivers side, the frame area.

If it's driving fine then you can leave the drivetrain alone, unless you're deciding to change the fluids. If it's stalling a lot clean the carb bowl and tighten the nuts in the intake manifold.

If you're looking at rebuilding it, take it 1 section at a time. I'd honestly start with an HEI ignition upgrade for fuel efficiency and a bit more power, then shocks and a steering stabilizer. Upper and lower balljoints, stabilizer links, and the leaf spring bushings next.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
The awesome thing about the Eagle is that they are very simple to work on, and are extremely similar to a Jeep. The best thing to do is stop being lazy, grab a few tool kits (socket set, wrenches, screwdrivers, big hammer, rubber mallet and a jack) and use this place as a resource. Where I live there is nobody familiar enough with them, I found a few guys familiar with Jeeps and used them as a resource.

Engine is the same as old Jeeps.
Front and rear axles are from a Jeep (well, front is a independent front suspension Dana 30)
Electrical is near identical to early Cherokees.

Start off with checking for leaks and rot.. Around the windshield is the most common, as well as the well nuts in the roof. Open the back hatch, look under the car where the leaf springs mount, then go back into the hatch where they connect and dig into the area with a screw driver. Do not be gentle as this is one of the worst rot areas in the car and gets covered by the 1/4" of paint crap they put in from the factory. Other bad place is near the front drivers side, the frame area.

If it's driving fine then you can leave the drivetrain alone, unless you're deciding to change the fluids. If it's stalling a lot clean the carb bowl and tighten the nuts in the intake manifold.

If you're looking at rebuilding it, take it 1 section at a time. I'd honestly start with an HEI ignition upgrade for fuel efficiency and a bit more power, then shocks and a steering stabilizer. Upper and lower balljoints, stabilizer links, and the leaf spring bushings next.

Also, don't make the mistake as I did a few years ago on my black eagle, I have no more, look at the out side rockers under the flares. If they are rotted out, I'd pass! That is unibody integrity/structure strength.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
Yes, there is that as well. Might be better served by lifting the carpets and ensuring that any rocker panel rot isn't also going right into the car. Rockers are easily replaced.

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 12:18:31 AM »
hi, you say you need help, and a parts list of stuff. Well, we're here to help. but you did not tell us anything about your car besides that it's an 86. Sedan or wagon? does it run? does it stop? Has it been sitting for a few years? miles on it?
Ok, let me get you started. Change the oil and filter,Change the fuel filter, return line at 12 o'clock. Check the alt, fan and power steering belts, replace if cracked/worn. Try to move the fan, (with belt loose), if it moves, your water pump needs replacing. All the above are parts available at any auto parts place. get a notebook, and keep track of what you bought/spent/did. All the above is very basic stuff. It will get you under the hood and rapidly increase your skill level and confidence. Hit a couple of used book stores and look for an old TSM, does not have to be 86, can be 82 or 81, or even an old Haynes, for the basics. if you get stuck, we're here! good luck, gz

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
So far, it's moving along. Been quite the lonely learning experience! Changed hoses and belts, flushed radiator which was full of a bunch of :censored:, but after a few cycles managed to get it looking good. Local store wanted 400 for a new radiator and I thought about following the instructions on redrilling the holes on one for a cj but cheaped out and kept flushing. Did the passenger inner and outer tie rod and had to change the valve cover gasket, turned out to be a plastic valve cover (reputably bad?) so I went over to the 85 which runs but has some pretty heavy unibody/frame rust on the driver side leafspring shackle like thing. because of that i just pulled the metal valve cover off the 85 to swap them.  While taking the plastic one off the 86 one of the bolts broke off flush to the valve cover, so I covered it up and extracted and had to rethread a little bit.  anyone who wants to come up to the northeast and drink a beer send me a line, just when I think I'm getting there, I find myself deeper in the woods.  thanks again guys

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 08:34:38 PM »
Im sure its posted some wheres but where are you in the north east?

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 06:18:36 PM »
southern nh, on the maine border about 10 minutes from dover

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 06:45:46 PM »
Ahhhh bummer! i would have taken you up on the  :occasion14: however i am about 2 minutes south of CIncinnati, OH. I guess that'd be a long ride home hahaha.

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 10:24:18 PM »
maybe i should organize an Eagle Ice Fishing meet up! haha

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 02:22:38 PM »
I'm all game for fishing! actually just ordered my 2 year old her first fishing pole!

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
sweet, well the ice is melting now!

someone in the new england area come spend a sunday helping me with exhaust manifold r&r and smoking out some vacuum leaks!?!? once again, the offer stands, ill buy the beer, and let you pick parts off my 85!

Offline eaglescout7

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:44:31 AM »
so I'm up at 430 am scratching my head. I started this thing with ZERO knowledge. I tried to study and prepare for each task and have come to find that nothing makes sense until you're under it with a wrench.  So far I've done the radiator, hoses, thermostat, water pump, power steering pump, alternator, valve cover gasket and swap (got rid of the plastic one, new v belts, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and started learning about timing (embarrassing I know).  So I ordered a kit from gronk which I received in the mail today, and thought for sure that this would solve my high idle inconsistencies as well as this wretched WHISTLING that is driving me crazy... which it didn't.  I can't digest the idea that its the base gasket of the carb, and am thinking this HAS to be a vacuum leak or something with the intake manifold.  I am truly effing clueless, and cannot get my head outside of the box any farther.  I'm beginning to lose sleep over this which probably has a lot to do with a lack of know how. ANY ADVISE!?!?  Also, there is a discernible difference in throttle response with the new carb, but low rpm in 1st and 2nd is puttering and not delivering fuel then immediately rectifies itself...this didn't happen before the carb swap.

Seriously though, any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm going it alone, with my bird in the mud here. no pun intended.

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »
have you tried spraying carb cleaner or wd40 around where vacuum leaks may be, while engine is running if there is a change in how it's running when you spray you have found a problem area

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
hi, don't lose sleep over this! We were all there once. Sounds to me like you are doing pretty well. I don't have the Gronk kit, but I ran a MC2150 for over 15 years, put it on in 2000. One thing you have to realize, is that on your 86, the computer controls BOTH the distributor and the carb. You no longer have the original BBD, but do you still have the original distributor? Your best bet is to replace it either with a 78-80 stock distributor, or an HEI upgrade (which is what I did) I recommend the DUI, expensive, but IMO worth it. Others have had good luck with the cheap knockoffs such as Skip White, not me.
Gronk knows what he is doing, and I'm sure your carb came calibrated real close to optimal, but probably not right on. Sound like you have an off idle stumble, running rich. Before you do anything else, the car has to be timed correctly. If the computer is still hooked up, it is trying to control the dist, and the now absent feedback carb, so I can't see how it will ever run right. Try a ECM Test bypass. I have never done this, but others here can help you with that. BTW, the computer is behind the pass. side kick panel.
As for the whistle, can't tell from here! (southwest VA), but sounds like a manifold leak. Try tightening all the bolts, there are 14 of them, paying special attention to the ones at each end of the manifold(s), which are actually studs. Could also be air cleaner seal. good luck, gz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk