News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:55:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '88 Wagon rehab  (Read 14954 times)

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: '88 Wagon rehab
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 05:39:38 PM »
That's good news!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
on my home from work the other day the eagle started making a drive line clunking and vibration. I think its the front passenger side cv axle.  I noticed the boot was torn just a week or so ago and I hoped it wouldn't be a problem until spring.
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon, dark blue metallic, blue interior

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2017, 10:54:26 PM »
That stinks.  I just killed the boot on my passenger side while installing new springs, looks like I'm right there with you on replacing the CV/halfshaft.  Good luck!
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »
I'm kinda thinking while i'm at it there are other things that need attention while I have it apart.  The other axle cv boots are just as old and the suspension arm bushings could use to be replaced along with the spring perches. If I have that far taken apart I'd like to do new matador coil springs. which would mean I''d want to replace the sagging leaf springs with new and an add a leaf and bushings. It sure is expensive and a lot of work to do a cv axle.  ;D
Nate

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 05:51:05 PM »
Wow, we are really on the same path.  I just finished up my front suspension, except for the CV which I damaged during spring replacement.  I didn't do the A-Arm bushings, but I did an upper ball joint, new springs, sway bar links, and strut rod bushings.  Also did spring perch bushings, but not original ones.  Found another site that recommended a poly bushing that fits in place of the original style - seems to be a common alternative to buying new perches for AMCs.

Next I am moving to the rear with a 2" cherokee add-a-leaf.

Happy to share notes if you need info.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2019, 08:08:38 PM »
Finally driving the Eagle again after it sitting for more than a year!! The ignition switch locked up with the key in it and I just now replaced it with the help of my girlfriends brother. A new used battery and some fresh gas and she started right up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk