News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 01:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 339106 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #690 on: May 14, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
So, hubby volunteered to look at the Eagle tonight.  We went out and fired it up and while it was idling rough he opened the idle mixture screws he said not even 1/4 turn and the idle smoothed right out and now its idling like a top in drive with the brake on.  Previously I had the idle mixture screws opened only 3/4 turn on one and about 5/8 turn on the other.  Hopefully it continues running like this, but I'll see over the next few weeks.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #691 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
Well, the Eagle went into storage for the summer yesterday.  :'(

I told hubby I wanted my Corvette going and we can't afford to have both cars licensed at the same time so I won't be driving my Eagle again until fall.  I'm having seperation anxiety already.  I only got to put about 10 city miles on it since the carb changes/adjustments but it did run beautifully - wish I could have given it more of a testing than that, but what are you going to do?  I took it to a car club's A&W cruise night to show it off and although the club members mostly ignored me (perhaps they felt I was intruding) the people that did look at it liked it a lot.  Ward figured it appealed to women in particular.  I was hoping to take it to an open show and shine on June 22nd, but maybe I can convince hubby to pull it out of storage and put a one day permit on it for that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:25:32 PM by priya »

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #692 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:30 AM »

HI  Priya I am caught up to your last post .I would like to know what you did to the car this summer. do you have the car out now.
                    We have frizzing rain and snow hear today in west MI .please up date .     A FAN.....don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #693 on: December 03, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Hi Don,

I am driving the car now.  Prior to that I made some adjustments to the 390 holley as the intake manufacturer Clifford recommended for a vehicle with up to 260 cubic inches and it eliminated a tendency for the car to bog or stall when the gas pedal was pressed on quickly.  At that time I noticed a lot of rust/sludge in the carb and cleaned it out.  Its been running really sweet since then but when I had it out on Friday I noticed a bit of a bog back in it until it warmed up.  I'm suspecting its collecting more rust/sludge from the fuel tank because the car sat for 15 years.  It would have been nice if I could have gotten a new tank for it but I'll just have to keep cleaning it out until it stops.  I've got two fuel filters on it but this really fine stuff is still slipping through.

The brakes were causing some trouble with them working normally while comming to a stop and then the pedal suddenly would start sinking to the floorboards.  The car would stop but it was pretty disconcerting.  We got a new master cylinder for it and went to install it Saturday but discovered it was leaking when we were bench bleeding it.  So, waiting for another new master cylinder to come in.  The rear axle was also quite noisy and my husband suspected a bad differential.  We removed the differential plug and he found water in the differential and the fluid low so now we're looking for a replacement with 3.07 gears.

Despite all that I'm absolutely thrilled with the car, it does a lot better on gas than my Corvette and is pretty spunky for a 80's six cylinder.  I get lots of thumbs up when I'm driving it and there's always someone wanting to ask me about it.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #694 on: December 03, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »
... and another thumbs up from this direction.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #695 on: December 03, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
Thanks for the update Priya! Glad to hear you are still around and still working on making the SX/4 one of the coolest ones out there! Hope everything gets sorted out and you are back on the road in no time! Keep updating and more pics as always! :)
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #696 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
 :occasion14: Wondered if you were coming back
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #697 on: December 03, 2013, 11:23:41 PM »
Priya, it's good to see you posting on here. And I'm pleased to read you're driving your Eagle and enjoying it. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #698 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:03 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #699 on: December 04, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
it´s always nice to see your project result again and again . and wellcome back priya
because nobody grows up knowing all

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #700 on: December 04, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »
good to see you on here priya.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #701 on: December 15, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »

HI thank you for the update .I am glad to see that you are still working on and improving on work already  done .the car looks great I wish silver looked that good .silver is in line for some paint has to wait for my grandson to fit it in . off subject again I am good at that ......a fan don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #702 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »
Good luck with Silver Teneagle.

Thanks Eagler and Maddog.

Offline ISOAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #703 on: December 15, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
Hi Priya,.. Let us know when you find the cause of your fading brakes. I'm having a similar problem with mine, One morning my pedal just hit the floor so I checked for low fluid, but  it was still full. So I decided the master cylinder must be the culprit and changed it. That solved nothing, so since I can't find any leaks, fluid or vacuum, I'm thinking possibly the booster. I keep thinking I must be missing somthing. If you or anyone else have any ideas, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #704 on: December 15, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »
Isoar, we replaced the master cylinder, my husband was sure this was the problem.  The previous brake fade was intermittent and I've only driven the car once since the master cylinder was replaced so although the brakes worked properly on that drive I suppose that doesn't prove it is fixed.  I'll ask Ward about your brakes later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk