News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:37:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel injection options in 2022?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Fuel injection options in 2022?
« on: April 11, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »
OK a little background... I rebuilt my factory carb about a year and a half ago and it ran absolutely perfectly. Choke was good, I replaced every single vacuum line under the hood, I had that thing tuned wonderfully. Then I don't know what happened and when winter rolled around 6 months ago it started running super rich, it would die on me. I tried fixing it but got fed up completely and parked it until recently when the weather warmed up. I've tweaked the choke a little now and it runs great when warm.

When I rebuilt the carb it ran perfect even in the winter (we get real winter, like -35C cold). It's not my daily driver but it is best enjoyed in winter...

So I am giving some thought to possibly maybe converting to EFI. I was wondering what are the options for doing so in 2022? I'd honestly rather keep the thing stock but the best time to drive my car is winter and being as it's always freezing here I can see where EFI would be beneficial. But at what cost? Etc.

I'm not interested in spending an insane amount of money. I'm not interested in swapping the head. And I'm not interested in swapping on a Motorcraft carb. I prefer to keep things stock but it can be frustrating at times LOL. So right now in my mind is keep it 100% bone stock or do the simplest EFI conversion. I'm just fine keeping the EGR functional etc because it serves a purpose. I'm not the kind of guy to just rip everything out (emissions) because I don't understand how it works or why it's there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 10:24:33 AM by 86Woodgrain »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Fuel injection options in 2022?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 11:32:16 AM »
I have a TBI system from Performance Fuel Injection Systems (https://pfisys.com/) on my Kammback.  It works pretty good, is relatively inexpensive, and they include an HEI distributor with the kit.  The last bit was important to me because I live in Colorado and wanted the system to control the timing also.  I know there is at least one other Den member that has this set up.  There is a YouTube video showing how to install their system on a Jeep which gives you a better idea of what it takes to install it.  They rebuilt the throttle body and update the ECU.  Their systems are available on eBay and they usually have a black Friday sale where you can save $100.

The only thing I would say on the neutral side regarding this is it is old technology.  It is the GM system from the late 80s/early 90s so there isn't a lot of tweaking or even monitoring it once it is installed.  Diagnosing a problem is achieved by putting a jumper (paper clip) in the interface plug and counting the number of flashes of the check engine light.  Newer systems offer a screen where you can monitor key parameters.

There are the Holley and FiTech systems.  If you live in an area that requires emissions testing, which can include a visual inspection to make sure all the emissions components are still in place, check out Howell EFI.  They are the only one I know of that has gone to the effort to get CARB certified, and they advertise that it is accepted in all 50 stays as an upgrade for original equipment and the old emissions stuff can be removed.  It is the same set up as the Performance TBI.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline 86Woodgrain

• Administrator
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 08:35:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, I will research those three.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 10:26:14 PM »
One thing I know about the Holly sniper EFI is that it's self learning so you don't have to do a bunch of tuning to get it to work right.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk