News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:47:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turn signal bulb  (Read 1846 times)

Offline ybslow

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Turn signal bulb
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:32:05 PM »
Newbie question.  My front driver side turn signal isn't working. Bought a new bulb but when I went to change it was not clear on how to access it.  Any tips or do I need to take the whole front end apart? >:(

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: Turn signal bulb
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 11:25:08 AM »
Welcome to the Den!  I hope you have many enjoyable miles with your Eagle!

To change the turn signal bulb, you have to first remove the trim around the headlight/turn signal.  There are like 5-7 screws that have to come out, a couple right above the headlight, a couple below the headlight and maybe some that go through the grill.  Once you remove those screws and pull the trim off, there should be one more screw in the middle of the turn signal housing.  Remove that, and you'll be able to pull that housing out, along with the wire for the turn signal.  Twist the wire (I think there is a plastic piece on it (or the housing) that you'll need to push down in order to be able to turn it).  Then you should be able to replace the bulb, and reassemble it opposite of how you took it all apart.

The Technical Service Manual for Eagles is also included in the Eaglepedia and will give you info on just about anything you'll need to do on your Eagle.

Good luck!

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/1982_%26_1983_TSM
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »
Welcome. Good luck with your Eagle. Vangremlin is right. It is fairly easy. Just need a Phillips screwdriver. Takes me about 10 minutes to have both headlight bezels and signal lights out.
Also, those plastic pieces are usually quite brittle. I repaired mine with ABS plumbing cement. The tabs broke off both units.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:43:23 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:12:14 PM »
Another thought is to just go easy on the screws for the bezel and plastic turn signal light fixture, especially when putting them back in and tightening them up.  I've cracked a bezel before by overtightening and good used replacement bezels are starting to command higher prices, if you can get it shipped to you without arriving smashed.

While you're in there, it may be a good idea to replace the headlight aiming screws (Dorman Help! 42122) as they are cheap plastic and very easily break when/if you're trying to adjust your headlights.
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline ybslow

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »
Great help and advice from the den.  I got the new bulb in there.  I will attach pics in case someone searches this thread in the future.

Some follow-up questions:
1) My plastic clips were shot and the previous owner used cut-off pieces of a pencil to align the lights. Where can I buy new plastic clips?
2) So the bulb works but the light does not blink when the headlights are on, only in the off position. The right side and left read all work all the time.  Only the front driver side does not work when the headlights are on.  Makes no sense to me.  Despite the old bulb looking toast, I wonder if this issue existed before I changed the bulb as I only tested it with the headlights on.

Thanks again for the tips!

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 09:21:49 AM »
1. Dorman 42124 (or 42122 as previously mentioned by djm) is what you need.  Parts stores can get it, might even have it.  I took out the headlight bucket and fished the clip in from the backside.

2.  It sounds like a possible ground problem to me.  With the headlight off and the marker/turn on, check to see if the headlight very dimly lights up.  If it does, the turn signal ground is bad and grounding through the headlight.  It can only do this when the headlight is off though.  All the front lights have grounds that go to the same splice, so when the corrosion builds up, weird things can happen.  The easiest way to see if this is it is to cut the ground wire (black wire) for your problem bulb and give it its own ground right to some fresh metal.  If that doesn't work, you're going to need a multimeter.   :)
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 04:34:02 PM »
I’ll check as to what the doorman part number is. I think I have one new in package in my garage. They are quite common and most parts stores should have them in stock. They are the same as a GM unit used prior to ‘90. Last I checked Auto Zone and Advance Auto had them and that was in the last month or so.
As for the plastic tabs on the signal lights, if they are broken ABS plumbing cement works great to repair them. I used it by building it up layer after layer then used a tiny drill to you know drill it out. Don’t use a drill, just the bit by hand.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline ybslow

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 01:58:12 PM »
1. Dorman 42124 (or 42122 as previously mentioned by djm) is what you need.  Parts stores can get it, might even have it.  I took out the headlight bucket and fished the clip in from the backside.

2.  It sounds like a possible ground problem to me.  With the headlight off and the marker/turn on, check to see if the headlight very dimly lights up.  If it does, the turn signal ground is bad and grounding through the headlight.  It can only do this when the headlight is off though.  All the front lights have grounds that go to the same splice, so when the corrosion builds up, weird things can happen.  The easiest way to see if this is it is to cut the ground wire (black wire) for your problem bulb and give it its own ground right to some fresh metal.  If that doesn't work, you're going to need a multimeter.   :)

With the headlight off and the marker/turn on the headlight is still lit up normally.  Of note the signal light in question is brighter at all times than the other one that is working despite both having new bulbs.  Any additional thoughts?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk