News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Abandoning my Eagle for lack of a clutch master cylinder  (Read 5776 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Abandoning my Eagle for lack of a clutch master cylinder
« on: June 25, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »
I have come to the end of my rope in attempting to fix my clutch on my 1984 6-cylinder with the 5-speed. 

The master cylinder had been losing pressure and leaking for a while.  I bought rebuild kits from both RockAuto and from Summit Racing, drove the Eagle to a local transmission shop, and asked them to rebuild the clutch.  After removing and disassembling the MC, they called me out to the shop and showed me that the parts in both kits were too small.  They spend another couple of weeks trying to find a rebuild kit that would work and finally gave up.  Worse, they tore the original seal while taking my MC apart, so they can't even put it back together so that it's driveable.  I'm going to have to have it towed home.

It's crazy that something as simple as a MC can be unfixable, but I don't know what else I can try.  Replacement MCs seem to be completely unavailable.  A guy at the local Jeep shop said that he had heard that someone had adapted a Toyota MC to work, but he didn't know anything more about it.  I guess junkyards are an option, but finding an intact 5-speed Eagle in a junkyard seems pretty unlikely too.  I can't fathom why the rebuild kits don't fit, unless a previous owner replaced the MC with a non-standard unit.

So I guess I'll be putting it up for sale as a non-runner sometime soon.

If anyone has any wild-butt ideas for me (or a spare clutch MC that they've stashed away!), I would love to hear from you.

Sadly,
John Bendiksen
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Abandoning my Eagle for lack of a clutch master cylinder
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 04:27:37 PM »
OK; you asked!  :) I'd be adapting (or attempting to adapt!) an '80's era Jeep clutch master cylinder.  Depending on the Jeep year and model, the bolt holes will be either vertical or horizontal; but not tilted like the Eagle mount holes.  To get them level (and keep the attached reservoir level) I'd make a simple adapter plate out of some 1/4" plate steel, or if the firewall is strong enough just drill a couple new holes to match the cylinder.  Would probably have to use your old rod, or lengthen the rod on the new one.

I think it would clear the power booster -- I think.......
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 04:58:15 PM »
Supposedly this "universal" clutch master cylinder is extremely similar to the Eagle clutch master
https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProd?itemno=260-6088

If you're lucky, you might even be able to replace the threaded rod with the rod from your Eagle
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:58:27 PM by Draekon »

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
Thanks guys.  Those both sound like good starting points for experimentation.

Unfortunately, I'm too decrepit (back and knees) to work on the car myself anymore, so any solution has to be straightforward enough that I can pay a regular repair mechanic to do it.  I don't know any I would trust with something so open-ended.

My original plan was to make the Eagle a reliable daily driver before I got this way, and I thought I'd done that, but this clutch thing has sucker-punched me.

Thanks again for the ideas.  If nothing else, I can mention them when I'm trying to sell the car, if it comes to that.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 06:32:49 PM »
I like that universal cylinder!   Would allow a remote reservoir, and may even bolt up to the existing holes!   Fabbing a rod wouldn't be a big problem.   Maybe John can find a local car-guy pal to help out - hate to see him get rid of the Eagle for that issue!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 06:55:34 PM »
I did a search on Car-part.com for a clutch master cylinder for you car.  I've been able to find a lot of rare Eagle parts listed on this website.  Unfortunately the search came up empty.  However, they have a form you can fill out that goes out to car recyclers that may have the part.  You might try to fill out the form and see if you have any luck.

Have you tried any of the AMC suppliers like Kennedy American or AMC Lives?  Just a thought.

Good luck, hate to see an Eagle come to the end of its life because of a simple part like that!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »
Taylor:
Thanks, but I've bought both the RockAuto kit and the Crown kit from Summit Racing.  Although both are listed as correct for a 1984 Eagle, neither one fit; they are both too small.

VanGremlin:
I had tried AMC LIves but not Kennedy American.  I looked, and they have this listing for a MC:
clutch master cylinder- 3/4" (81 after eng#011C03)  3238493  $129.00
However, I know my cylinder is larger than 3/4", because that's the size of the o-ring thing in both of the rebuild kits I've bought, and I already know they are too small.  I should have measured the bore on my cylinder while the mechanic had it torn apart, but he has already put it back together.  Kennedy also lists a rebuild kit, but don't say what size it is.  I will call them when they are back in the office Monday and try to get someone to measure the o-ring in their kit; if it's bigger than 3/4", there is a chance that it will fit my cylinder and I'll buy it.

For that matter, maybe the 3/4" MC they have in stock could be fitted to replace my larger MC... I just have no way of knowing.  It just freaks me out that no vendors anywhere have ever heard of two different sizes for the MC, and it makes me reluctant to buy any more parts with no assurance that they will fit.  I've already got a nice collection of worthless rebuild kits.

I went to car-parts.com (thanks for that tip!) and found a MC and reservoir from a 1982 Eagle for $125, but again, who knows if it will fit?  It would cost me $125 to find out...

If the Kennedy rebuild kit doesn't pan out, I will have the car towed home.  It was drivable (but flaky) when I took it to the mechanic, but he tore the original o-ring removing it, so now it's undrivable.  Which really sucks, because I could have sold it and told the buyer it had a flaky clutch, but now I can't even demonstrate that the rest of the car is working.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.  I'll offer it for sale to Den members before I list it anywhere else, but you'll have to arrange transportation from Sugar Land, TX.

JB

1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »
John: Have you contacted any of the AMC of Houston car club folks (I was the Club VP for a bunch of years until I retired and left Houston).  There's a lot of good people (and good mechanics) in that Club; they may be able to help out in some way.

George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 06:34:42 PM »
I tried to look them up, but they don't have much of a web presence; no messaage board or anything like that.  Their web page just lists a single phone number (for their treasurer).

Also, just to finalize what I've found out about the rebuild kits out there: Both the RockAuto kit (Lucas SP5903) and the Crown kit from Summit Racing are for the 4-cylinder car only.  They fit a 3/4" bore master cylinder; the 6-cylinder cars use a larger bore. 

I cannot find any kits for the 6-cyl MC.

JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 08:42:34 PM »
Wow!  I just looked at the AMC of Houston web site.  The old site is gone!   Looks like they are starting over on the site.

Email their Prez Tom Taylor at [email protected]

He's a good guy, and might have a suggestion.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Illeagle1984

• Manic Mechanic
  • Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 07:05:00 PM »
Yep, sometimes finding parts for these cars can be a real bear.  That's part of the, uhh...charm.  I'm sure the right kit exists somewhere, but finding it...  :banghead:

I would suggest American Parts Depot, but it looks like their online catalog isn't working right now.  Hmm.  It has a remote reservoir, right?

I found a Dorman number, CM39516, but no one seems to have one in stock.  And that would be the smaller bore cylinder as well, I'd guess.  I would go for it with the new smaller master.  I do wonder if they used a different slave as well to match the different size master?  Or if the bore size increase was simply to make the clutch easier to press.

I also ran an interchange on that Dorman number and got many other part numbers:

Chrysler 3238951
Chrysler J3238951
Bendix 12027
Centric Parts 136.63005
ACDelco 18M2048
Wagner Brake CM106463
Fenco CM1259
Coni-Seal CM451310
Raybestos Brakes CMA39516
Wagner Brake F106463
Aimco M903073
Autospecialty Q-83005

I checked a few of them out but didn't find much.

Also if you can find a specialty brake shop, like one that relines brake shoes and sleeves brake master cylinders, they may have the correct vendors and supply chain to find you the right parts.  If you live around a lot of farms like I do, there will be a repair shop around that does that kind of thing for cars and/or really old farm equipment.  They may even be able to sleeve your existing clutch master to make the rebuild kit fit.  I work at such a shop, though we mostly got out of sleeving cylinders and focus on shoe and band relining.  I'll dig through our Bendix and Raybestos catalogs though and see if I can come up with a good number.

Don't give up, it will all be worth it when you're driving down the road again.
It's getting crowded down here:
1973 Ford Mustang "Rustang"
1984 AMC Eagle Sedan "IllEagle" 183k
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon "Eagle 2"
1996 Cadillac Eldorado 178k
1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight 239k
2002 Cadillac Eldorado Doral Edition
2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 179k

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 03:34:44 PM »
It's crazy that something as simple as a MC can be unfixable, but I don't know what else I can try.  Replacement MCs seem to be completely unavailable.  A guy at the local Jeep shop said that he had heard that someone had adapted a Toyota MC to work, but he didn't know anything more about it.  I guess junkyards are an option, but finding an intact 5-speed Eagle in a junkyard seems pretty unlikely too.  I can't fathom why the rebuild kits don't fit, unless a previous owner replaced the MC with a non-standard unit.

So I guess I'll be putting it up for sale as a non-runner sometime soon.

If anyone has any wild-butt ideas for me (or a spare clutch MC that they've stashed away!), I would love to hear from you.

Sadly,
John Bendiksen

DON'T DO IT!! I've come to save the day. Give Blaser Auto Parts in Moline, Il a call. They have rebuild kits in stock. I just ordered one. They only deal in AMC, Nash and Rambler parts, so you won't get the wrong parts. (309) 764-3571. or [email protected]

You can see their website at blaserauto.com

It's about $40 for the rebuild kit.

Keep in mind that they don't exactly hold regular business hours but they are very good at getting back to you. I truly hope this helps John.

'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline Still Pat

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 04:24:54 PM »
I found this on spacebook & posted it on a couple of the Eagle pages there because I couldn't recall where I saw this post.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fbrakeandequipment.com%2Fmachine-shop%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2qC2odL3JlPVQ3aZHXKmbg4oVzGr4WVF0ySKAn6kHO76Y7I4KzWVeHQYU&h=AT3-reMKp5GTth6OIEuJGk9LKnYM7sdtKg2M2tI9TNyo2nf2xB1GB3tHBbYZrfeqKHBJCK87WtL_LhMckUQaECC3CTQCuYYxIMAWBBdZHCESr1Z0MR_PRhj-mE2tydgILf2y55H8L6xwBKPiXM0&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT3-4B5_ohxgJSzcB89eq1JmJGtV3d7OHLPGElP1YRg_t2XaeSQ-V3YkAhHchQsq0ayc_S4ayVeodH2Ue57-qQCF47sz2aGfRc_kC0s57bS8u9XNXzpIlNR4Wf4faFyUyFU4H9DHvZ_eFcyHdIJDbXN3DRrPCIhYVc77rNnzvpY8cJ6uzHe_btuNzobQAt2kvLegckF5ZMLDpy2lyu1Ur73h
EDIT
Somebody else listed another place that does the resizing. Hate to see somebody give up like that! Hopefully, maybe one of those places can help.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 04:34:56 PM by Still Pat »
'83 AMC Eagle wagon 258/auto.
'84 AMC Eagle sedan (4 door) 258/auto.
PREVIOUS AMCs:
'72 Gremlin X 304/3 speed
'81 Eagle Kammback 258/4 speed (Purchased new)
'82 Eagle wagon 258/5 speed (Ordered new, traded Kammback)
'86 (I THINK) Eagle wagon - BlackBird 258/auto. (Got hit/totaled)
'83 Eagle wagon - White Eagle 258-auto. (Front subframe was rotted out - sold for parts)

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 04:57:28 PM »
Pat, I think this is the link that you wanted? One didn’t load correctly. Let me know if it is incorrect. Looks like a good possible source for parts.
I wonder if it is possible to just order the correct o rings from fastenal or grainger or a industrial supply place like those?

https://brakeandequipment.com/machine-shop/?fbclid=IwAR2qC2odL3JlPVQ3aZHXKmbg4oVzGr4WVF0ySKAn6kHO76Y7I4KzWVeHQYU
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 04:17:53 PM by Taylor »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk