News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 01:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head
« on: October 09, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »
Has anyone tried fitting an Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head on a stock 258 bottom end?  I have a big cam, roller rockers, clifford eagle headers, and a single plane four barrel intake manifold or possible a lead on the triple weber dcoe 45s (which I may do just because I like it).  I am trying to find the best head for my build. The bottom end is going to be left stock for now. I'm not interested in anything 505 performance after having to deal with them.  I'm not sure about Clearwater Cylinder head's performance heads, the're priced well but they do not seem to have a great reputation on the BBB website.  Newcomer racing builds nice heads and is top work but they are expensive (I could swing this but if I can get similar results for cheaper, that's what I'll do).  Newcomer even praises the Edelbrock head as a nice unit especially for non-stroker or non-forced induction engines. I am curious to find out what the community thinks.  So this is really a two part question, first has anyone fitted an Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head on a 258 and has it been worth it and second if it isn't which head is the best bang for the buck?

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
Re: Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
As Eagle numbers were relatively small, you'll likely find a lot more upgrades were done on the 258 in other vehicles, like Jeeps. Jeep forums are likely your best bet. Google.

What I would question is what is the goal of your upgrades. Are you just upgrading what you can because you can, or do you have a hp, torque or curve that you expect to get out of it for on-road or off-road. Is this your end target or a step on the way to a stroker.

One of the things I've seen mentioned a lot, is people putting a carb on that has too much flow, giving them little more performance, sometimes not running well, and costing a lot more in fuel at lower rpm. And at some point, you'll need to widen the exhaust: the air can't get in fast enough, if the air inside can't get out fast enough. One rule of thumb I was given for head/cam/carb upgrades was go to 2.25" exhaust for most upgrades, with 2.5" being of no or questionable benefit due to the limits of the engine.

Offline Blip Downshift

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: Edelbrock aluminum 4.0 head
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
I've scoured the jeep forums and the conversation keeps going to "why stick with the 258 when better 4.0 swaps, strokers, or V8 swaps are out there".  The Eagle community is more sympathetic to why I stick with the 258 block, the front diff mounting points (although I know I can work around them, I don't want to). So I figured I would ask the Eagle community.  No real hp or torque goals, just better performance to go with all my other Eagle SX4 upgrades.  I'm limited to about 250 ft/lbs at my trans/transfer case combo anyway.  Trans is a rebuilt jeep T5 and transfer case is an AWD NP119.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk