News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2009 International AMC Eagle Nest Meet - Monmouth, Il. - Information Central  (Read 65805 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Friday, July 31st, 2009
The 2nd Annual International AMC Eaglenest Meet 2009
LAST UPDATED ON: 07/21/09

Photos from 2008 Meet

The Official Maple City Cruise Night Flyer

I actually live in Galesburg, and I will be planning most of the meet there. We will only be in Monmouth the one day for the car show. The car show will last an entire day. It will be on a Friday, so try to make your plans around that. I am guessing that most people will show up Thursday evening for a mini-meet. There is a new Super Wal-Mart right off I-74 with a Buffalo Wild Wings right next door, both buildings are less than a year old. I was thinking we could meet up there and have a lil tailgate "party" that evening and wait for everyone to show up, then walk on over and have some wings and a beer or something. Afterwards, we can take the convoy to the hotel district and get everyone tucked in.
                Anyone planning on showing up days before.... just let me know and we can plan some stuff on our own. We have had some talks about people showing up way early and having some "Eagle Clinic" sesions and some general "how to's". I figure we'll probably do most of this on Saturday, but I am down for hanging out early in the week as well. I may take the entire week off from work. Was it NJ that said he'd come down and paint my car? LOL! He needs to come the weekened before, so we can have it ready for the show!

Friday, July 31st, 2009

Maple City Cruise Night in Monmouth, IL. (about 14m West of Galesburg). For the early birds, maybe we can meet up in Galesburg at Perkins (not far from the hotels) and have a breakfast at 9 or so, then meet back up at Wal-Mart at 10:30-11ish and wait for any stragglers and "late" sleepers. I'd like to be at the show no later than Noon, but we may bump all of the times up sooner if it depends on getting a good spot in Monmouth. Times are subject to change, but I assure you I will have a (near) exact schedule before the event. I'd kind of like to take some ideas from the people that will be attending before I set anything in stone. The show goes on into the wee hours of the night, but I think alot of folks start packing up around 9pm. They have tons of great food vendors (ribeyes, burgers, brats, hotdogs, snocones, ice cream, corn dogs, etc.) bars will be serving beverages, live entertainment in the center of the show, 50/50 drawings, raffles, and all the good stuff. The show brings in rides from all over the USA totalling more and more every year. Last year was about 1200 cars. You literally will walk miles to see them all. The radio station that work for will be broadcasting live all day as well. I am trying to book a show with a couple of local bands for that evening as well... my band of course will be performing for the Eaglenest! I'm still trying to find a good venue that isn't going to cost me loads of cash. So, for those of you that like to party and listen to loud, hard, (but radio friendly) rock and roll.... you will deffinetly enjoy the after-set. For the faint of heart, there is no shame in heading back to your hotel and getting the well deserved rest you will be needing after the long day of festivities.

Saturday, August 1st, 2009

On this day, we will play it by ear. I am trying to plan a really cool eagle clinic session that will take a good portion of the early part of the day. Then I'm thinking a nice BBQ, followed by our own Eagle Cruise and maybe a ride out the to drive in movie theater! It's the largest cynderblock screen in the United States! Plus they have great food out there too, lol! I wanted to give out some awards on this day, but time and money got the best of me. Still a possibility. Regardless, the clinic and the BBQ will fill our day just right and I promise good food and good times!

Sunday, August 2nd, 2009

I am guessing most will be leaving failry early. For those flying the coup early, we will all get together at a designated time and place to see you off. For the others, we can head back to my house and hang out, and maybe munch on some left overs. There are some pretty cool scenic places in Galesburg and the surrounding areas. For anyone interested, I could pull up some info and maybe find some online brochures and then I could give you the tour! I can also scout all the scrap yards and tally up the good parts... maybe we could go scavenging? Just whatever, we'll call this a freebie day unless someone comes up with some cooler ideas.

-=:NOTES:=-

The Press - I would like to involve the press as well. (radio, paper, tv) I am working on sponsorship. I am working on a banner. I am working on goody bags. And I will even be hiring a photographer to snap pictures of the event. Discuss. And remember to check this thread often because I am sure I will be changing/adding information on this post from time to time as we get closer to the date and more and more ideas begin to circulate.

4x4/Off Roading/Trail Blazing/Muddin' - I have been looking into this by request.... there is a spot about 87m from where I live. Roughly an hour and a half from Galesburg... all interstate I think. Mostly. Maybe, lol! 65 acres of trails and off roading... by appointment only. I don't know anything about it, but if there's enough interest - I'll give em a call and see what they would be willing to work out with us and see if they have any restrictions. I still may find something closer. Here's the link if you want to check it yourself... http://www.offroadlands.com/park.asp?pid=577

-=:SPONSORS/CONTRIBUTORS SO FAR:=-

The AMC Eagle Nest
RockAuto.com
Eddie Stakes in Houston
Autozone

Area Maps   

The star is right on the America's Best Value Inn -- the RM priced one.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:10:55 PM by Mavericke »
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77

-=:HOTELS & ACCOMIDATIONS:=-

America's Best Value Inn                  59.99 Per Night
29 Public Square
Galesburg, Il. 61401                                  (309)343-9161
These guys were very nice and offered us a 10% discount on the rooms. Just mention the AMC Eagle car Club when you call. The hotel isn't like the Hilton, but it's clean and in a central location with an attached karaoke bar and restaurant with good breakfast food. It's right off the historic town square too... maybe we could get some good shots of our Eagles there! I recomend this hotel... I have stayed there many times. It's also the best deal I could find.

Best Western Prairie Inn                   109.95$ Per Night
260 S. Soangetaha Rd.
Galesburg, IL. 61401                                 (866)343-7151

notes - Very nice hotel. Expensive, but very nice with a decent sized banquet area, dining, and bar. Wireless internet. They also have an inside pool, sauna, and hot tub. Located right off the interstate.

Country Inn & Suites                        99.95 Per Night
2284 Promenade Ct.
Galesburg, IL. 61401                                 (309)344-4444

notes - Very nice. A bit more costly than average, but again very nice. Inside pool. Continental breakfast. Wireless internet. Located right off the Interstate.

Fairfield Inn in Galesburg                   84.99 w/ AMC Eagle Club discount
901 W. carl Sandburg Dr.
Galesburg, Il. 61401                                  (309)344-1911

Super 8 Motel                                BAD NUMBER
260 W. Main
Galesburg, IL. 61401                                 (309)342-5174

NOTICE
Make those reservations ASAP! Rooms are dwindeling and prices are sky rocketing! Not only is there a huge car cruise that night, but also a peewee league baseball playoff and all the teams have book up a majority of the rooms!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:26:13 PM by Mavericke »
The AMC Eagle

Offline thetrueb1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
I read this just after I posted a smart-assembly reply about not knowing a date when the meet was going to be.  Doesn't that figure.  Let this be a lesson to us all, read before you smart-off.   ;D 

That being said.  I'm in.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:17:58 PM by thetrueb1 »
80 AMC Eagle Wagon Sport - Work in progress (E.T.A Nov 2028)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Good job Chas!    Let's get some discussion going now.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
Hi Chas !

When we´ll come from Europe, (never been in U.S.), do you think, you can  give me some tips how to get to your place ? I guess I should lend in Chicago. From there is about 200 miles to your place.
Sorry I won´t bring anything for barbecue  ;D. probably won´t let me go into the plane with meat.
But I´m looking forward for you !!!

Petr

(I guess I will be in touch with Jurjen, but still didn´t speak with him)
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Click for Praha, Česko Forecast" height="90" width="160     

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
There might be an airport closer to Chas than Chicago, although you may actually change planes there.   Yes, Jurjen is our international travel expert.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
Yes, all internationl flights will most likely go straight to Chicago... but you can land pretty much anywhere in the US, and fly to Moline, Ia. There is a smaller airport there that I always fly out of and it's an easy 45min drive for me to come pick you up if needed. Even if you get a rental car or something, its almost a straight shoot into Galesburg, so directions would be easy.

I suggest, (and I think it has already been suggested), that for all "flyers" international or not... all try to arrive around the same time. At least the same day, maybe that Thursday so I can make arrangements to pick everyone up at once. If I can't fit everyone in my Jeep, then I'll see about renting a shuttle bus/van to accomodate everyone.
The AMC Eagle

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Yes, their point of entry would probably be in Chicago or another international airport but I would buy your ticket to Moline as you will be routed, first, to an international hub and then  on to Moline, IL

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
Or I watched Greyhoud site and one way trip cost $52 to purchase 14days before and it takes around 5 1/2  hours. But it just my opinion. I guess it will be what to see during this trip. But the first I´ll ask how about others would lik to travel.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
Have you compared the cost of flights into Chicago and into Moline?  May not be a whole lot of difference.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
O.K. I will check it how it looks like. Maybe will be faster. ( For me only to spend little time in plane is the best  :-\ )
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
It seems - to Chicago and than by bus will be cheaper, but slower. But it is moot point. I´d like to see anything, when I´ll be in bus or train. (By the way I didn´t checked the train possibility) . Or to rent a car ? I checked some price of rent a car but sometimes I don´t understand your taxes, price to get back in other city and so on. Any advice is welcome. But for sure to land in Chicago and to use the bus ( if the bus before the rent a car) looks like the best solution.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
I am surprised it costs that much more for a flight into Moline.  We don't understand our taxes either. 

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline eaglemailman

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 16
  • Forget the whales, save the Eagles!
I have been to Europe twice and have rented an auto both times. The American companies also rent autos in Europe. I used Alamo. Just go to an auto rental in Europe and they should be able to calculate the rates in dollars. Taxes are also somewhat confusing in Switzerland. They have a VAT tax that is something like 17% added on. But this tax can be refunded by foreigners. I doubt if there is a train to Galesburg. But perhaps to the quad city area.

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
 I will try to do somehow. Still have time einough. Thank you anyway.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk