News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 01:11:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump?  (Read 8879 times)

rohnk

Re: Electric Fuel Pump?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
Just tried it again and got nothing. I took the fuel line apart where it goes into the filter and had my daughter crank the engine while I held a dish to catch any fuel. The fuel guage shows I have a quarter tank. It would be a little old (last year) but right now I'm not getting anything to the carb.

I'll check the oil level and smell it for fuel.

rohnk

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Checked the oil and it is good to go. No fuel leaking into the crankcase. I also put 2.5 gallons into the tank to bring the level up a little. Still no start and don't seem to be getting fuel.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
Checked the oil and it is good to go. No fuel leaking into the crankcase. I also put 2.5 gallons into the tank to bring the level up a little. Still no start and don't seem to be getting fuel.

Make sure the return port is lined up at the top (12 o'clock position).  Otherwise the fuel enters the filter and goes right back to the tank.  Good luck.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »
What kind of pump do the Eagles have on them stock? I don't seem to be getting fuel to the carb after the swap. I pump the pedal while cranking and even hold the throttle wide open while cranking and get nothing.
I replaced my fuel pump years ago in order to fix a fuel line pressure issue. Old pump was an Airtex. Current one is Carter. Both mechanical.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »

You could try a gas can and a rubber hose to the inlet of pump to make sure that the problem is not the lines. It should easily pull some gas out after a couple of cranks.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

rohnk

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
I was able to get it going finally. I had to get a new battery so I could crank the engine long enough for the pump to start drawing fuel from the tank. I also put a little fuel in the carb so it would start.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk