News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 16, 2024, 09:26:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Under Hood, What is this?  (Read 2676 times)

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
Under Hood, What is this?
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »
looking for some Parts ID, i just converted my eagle to HEI\Holley and i am wondering what i can remove or is not used currently.

the 2 small relays next to the starter relay in picture 1

the large box and little under the passengers side hood hinge in picture 2

Picture 3 loos like a multi port vacuum switch, can i replace this with a plug?

Picture 4: what is that tube coming out from the under the EGR block off plate, can that be left hooked up when the EGR is blocked off?

is the last picture the temp sensor, back of the head?
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: Under Hood, What is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
I did a major clean up of everything not used u dear the hood myself

Pic one I think one of those is a horn relay?

The tube connects the Iintake  egr to the exhaust manifold, I just left it once I blocked off the hole like you did, otherwise you will have a hole in the exhaust to fix

The black thing is a cto , it's like a vacuum switch, took it off and plugged the hole

The last pic is your temp sensor, you need that one!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Under Hood, What is this?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:15 PM »
Photo4 shows a relay (in front) with an emission box behind if yours has the red sensor on the intake and carb with no rear plug in with 3 plug Motorcraft ignition box (81/82 only AFAIK). It uses a knock sensor on the intake to retard timing when the motor pings. AFAIK, it was a CA thing installed at dealers. I took mine out already.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk