News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 06:30:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM Auto Parts door weatherstrips, doors won't close fully  (Read 2161 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
AM Auto Parts door weatherstrips, doors won't close fully
« on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »
I bought these from the auction site and put them on tonight.  They seem to fit just fine, but the doors won't shut all the way.  The instructions say that I might need to slam the door the first few times until it takes shape.  It appears that one are near the front hinges is getting pinched.  This section was originally glued.  The instructions say to "test fit" BEFORE applying any glue.  I think it'll work if I glue it but I don't want to mess it up.

Any weatherstripping experts here?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline HawkenEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
Re: AM Auto Parts door weatherstrips, doors won't close fully
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »
Any updates on this? I was about to buy this one. Thanks!!
 :eaglebig:

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: AM Auto Parts door weatherstrips, doors won't close fully
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:11:37 PM »
You might want to try soaking it real good in a vinyl or rubber conditioner to make it softer and more pliable. But I caution you if you do this in will become much softer but then your glue will never stick so use your best judgement here. When I restored my sixty nine AMX many years ago I ran into this problem and that is what I did and they work perfect to this day and I never did go back and glue them. To be honest I'm glad I never glued them cause they still look perfect today. Hope this helps.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk