News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 18, 2024, 02:22:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1980 Grille restoration  (Read 2155 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
1980 Grille restoration
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
I took the pushbar and grille off of Pepe when I took it into the shop for the 4.0 liter head swap and camshaft swap.  I decided I would install a 1980 grille I had and see how it looked.  I think it looks pretty good, however the grille isn't in the greatest shape.  The top bar is missing, and the black portions don't look all that great, and the chrome could use some freshening up too.  Has anyone ever restored one of these?  Can I just use some black spray paint and chrome spray paint?  I was also thinking some of those chrome door edges might work too.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: 1980 Grille restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Like the look, makes Pepe look angry!

I have had luck by spray painting the whole grill and then using paint pens to do the lines back, it looks pretty good once you are done, I did this on my spirit and the headlight surrounds on the amx too

They sell the paint pens at Wally World, in a "Crome" color, it's not bad, but it takes a steady hand so be patient
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: 1980 Grille restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »
Black paint works well after a good bath and rub down with a scotch brite pad. I use krylon semi flat not semi gloss,its too shinny.A paint pen works well but make sure you get the chizel tip and not the pointed ones and practice first on a scrap piece to get the feel of it. As far as replacing the busted bar not sure. Need to think about that for a while.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk