News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:37:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SX/4 rear latch question  (Read 1467 times)

yopnopp

SX/4 rear latch question
« on: March 20, 2021, 03:19:48 PM »
I just replaced the struts on the lift gate but the latch doesn’t close. Can someone tell me what I’m missing or where I can find a replacement? I haven’t been able to find any videos or pictures of this close up.

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: SX/4 rear latch question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »
Looks like its in the locked position. take a screwdriver and rotate the latch so the opening in the catch is facing up.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

yopnopp

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
The thick metal bar is removeable. I played with the latch but that didn't help any.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 01:02:42 AM »
Could be the pressure of the new struts have moved the hatch a skosh to where the latch adjustment isn't quite right; especially if the hinges are a bit sloppy with wear.   Need to play with the latch bar (the part in your pic) to get it lined up correctly with the latch on the lift gate.   Give us a pic of the latch part on the lift gate so we can see if its not right.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

yopnopp

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »
Here you go. I feel like something is missing. The latch on top connects more right but it’s the original one. Even before I changed the struts, which were the same length, it wouldn’t latch shut.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:02:57 PM »
Yeah; looks OK from here.  Can you click the latch closed with a screwdriver OK??   If so, I'd say you just need to play with the adjustment (on the bar) until you get it right.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

yopnopp

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 01:08:32 PM »
Yeah I’ve tried that but the bar doesn’t seem to want to go into the latch itself. Moving the position of it, the latch is too far right from the bottom part.

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 05:09:33 PM »
And the lift gate is straight on the body??   Weird.   Wonder if things got smacked sometime in the past?   AMC has used that same latch since the '60's, and yours looks "normal" to me.

The bolt holes in the upper latch are a bit bigger than the bolts, and will allow a little left/right adjustment.  I think one could slot the holes some more for additional adjustment if needed.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7