News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 18, 2024, 11:04:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New fuel system options (which carb/TBI do I choose)  (Read 3080 times)

Offline abzman

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
New fuel system options (which carb/TBI do I choose)
« on: April 04, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
It has reached a point where I need to rebuild/replace my fuel and air delivery system for this stock 1984 eagle with a 258 in it. Originally I had a problem with stalling before the vehicle is completely warmed up (idle tubes?), and now after winter (not driving it for quite some time) the carb's not passing fuel at all (because I let it sit for six months).  My options are these:

• un-stick existing carb
    maybe just smack it and hit it with some carb cleaner and it'll fire right up, a little worse than before
    not really an option, I don't need it as a daily driver right now

• rebuild one of my three other carter stepper carbs
    I have kits and an ultrasonic cleaner and this is a skill I think I want to have
    I hear that these are just fine in a well maintained system but that will never be the case unless I go through and replace all the OEM bits which is unreasonable

• rebuild one of my three other carter stepper carbs and pull the motor control off
    neutering the electronics seems like a better option than the above one, but not by a ton

• Motocraft carb conversion
    I don't really want to drop a bunch of money on another carb when I want fuel injection eventually anyway

• salvage-based TBI
    seems like a lot of work to collect the parts and verify the quality of them

• ebay TBI
    same as above without the salvage, seems more expensive than I would like
    I am not afraid of flashing ROMs and flipping bits, I'm an electrical engineer who specializes in late '80s and early '90s computers
    http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45860.0

• holley sniper EFI
    not significantly more expensive than ebay TBI and I think I like the idea of running an aftermarket controller better than playing around with faking out an OEM one

• salvage Jeep 4.0 head with MPI
    I do not have access to a 95 or earlier jeep to pull parts from other than local salvage yards, this seems annoying to work with existing wiring

• salvage jeep 4.0 head with megasquirt MPI
    I do have access to a 96 jeep that I can salvage mechanical parts from and skip the OEM electronics but this is even more of a project

Anyone have advice or personal experiences with these options? I am leaning toward the ebay TBI kit for the ease of installation/finding parts but with the holley being not significantly more expensive that seems like a better option.  In the mean time I think I'll try rebuilding a carb but that will not be the final solution for this vehicle while I own it. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:33:41 PM by abzman »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: New fuel system options (which carb/TBI do I choose)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
I would keep it simple and stick with the carter.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
Ditto on keeping the BBD.   Rebuild it correctly - drill out the idle bleed tubes, and get the metering rod and acc pump height adjustments dead-nuts-on (they are very picky about those adjustments); and your fuel system will be a happy camper!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
I am currently switching to #6 after previously installing #4 about 8-9 years ago.  The Motorcraft carb has been pretty decent but I've had some funky things going on lately that I believe are related to the carb and I just don't want to deal with it anymore.  And one thing I like about the TBI package off of eBay is that it comes with the distributor and the computer controls the timing.  I think that will be really beneficial for me when I head up to the mountains, since I live in Denver.   And since I use the car as a semi-daily driver, the easy start up and driveability are really attractive to me.  And if you're not in a big hurry, the supplier on eBay usually runs a $100 off Black Friday deal right after Thanksgiving every year. 

Good luck with whichever option you choose!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:30:12 PM »
I've done the Motorcraft conversion.  I don't have much experience with the Carter.  Mine was pretty poor when I got my car, and lots of the vaccuum stuff was already missing.  I had a lot of stalling, idle would wander, etc.  To me, for the $350 or so it cost to change, the process was pretty simple.  I've done about 4000 miles since then, either highway or off-road on dirt.  Average MPG has been around 12, but I have large tires for an Eagle, 235/75-15's.  I probably need to re-jet the carb, there might be a few MPG in there still.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:52:10 PM by amarshall »
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »
I swapped to a Motorcraft several years ago but could never get it tuned quite right for the Eagle. I ended up buying a reman Carter (without a stepper motor) and it works so much better. My vote is for rebuilding a carter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk