News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 07:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wiring Harness  (Read 3486 times)

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
Wiring Harness
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:08:57 PM »
I apologize if there IS a thread on wiring harnesses, i just cant seem to find them, or if there are the diagrams in those threads it seems they are alll part of those old photobucket archive of photos we had, which since have long been dead , and arent hosted any more,

Anyways, i was driving the other day after working on the choke/carb it seems i had a bad short, or loss of ground, and it fried wires that bolt into the selenoid, it started as a 1 green wire prong that split into 2 reds past an insulator, One MUST have been powering most accessories, the other im not sure, but after blowing one wire, i rigged it and jumped the selenoid (i had to move it from where it died, or risk tow/impound) It seemed fine, but then the unmistakable smell of burning wire, plus haywire electrics, wipers going on by themselves, i didnt wait to see and count what else was turning itself on, as i had my hazards on the whole way home. now im in a real pinch as to WHAT shorted, WHERE and HOW i lost the ground.
1987 AMC Eagle LTD (daily driver)

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Wiring Harness
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »
I am pretty sure I have a complete wire harness for an SX4. Most of the wiring will be the same, but the rear portion will be different. I believe it is from an '82.  If you need it, let me know.  Thanks, Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
I undoubtedly need a chunk of it, I'm tracking down what's damaged I think it's just one loom of the 2 or 3 off the battery, what would you want for the whole thing? I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and replace most all of it

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »
hi what year is your Eagle, and is it stock? 84 and up harnesses are different from 83 down, with the 82 being a one year. Different computers. That said, if you only need a section or two, any may work, but be careful  good luck, gz

Offline TheGoldenEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • A Montana Eagle Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 11:38:26 PM »
My eagle is a stock 87, wagon with the 258

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
hi what year is your Eagle, and is it stock? 84 and up harnesses are different from 83 down, with the 82 being a one year. Different computers. That said, if you only need a section or two, any may work, but be careful  good luck, gz
It seems my harness being an '82 will not work as a complete replacement, but the bulk of the engine bay harness should work. The thing to do would be to remove the bad harness, and remove the sheathing from both harnesses. You can then compare the wiring, and use the wires from the donor harness that are the same.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk